• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clicking WD 80Gb SE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

Hey guys,
Well, when I built this computer about 8 months ago or so, I had to RMA the harddrive twice before I finally got one that did not give off a high pitched whine which I could easily hear from 20+ feet away. Right now I'm running my case with the side panel off and sometimes, but not of (yet?) the harddrivwe will make repeated but quiet ticking noises while it's seeking. If I place my finger on the side of the drive, even just lightly, the ticking stops until I take my finger away. Should I RMA this harddrive, will it be getting worse, or is this something I shouldn't worry about?

I don't know if that's the 'click of death' or not (I've never had a HD die on me, so I don't know what it sounds like), but stuff like that I've assumed to be normal. It's probably because I've got a lot of really old computer who's HDs click (both soft like yours, and quite loud), so I assume that to be normal.

My drive (same as yours) clicks very lightly durring seek, and has been running OK (no bad sectors popping up, stable, ect.) with the click for about 5 months now.

But I stongly point out that I've never actually heard the click of death!! So... What I think is normal may just mean that all my computers are going to die soon :eek: (though they've been running fine with the click for a LONG time) Anybody got a recording of the click of death?

JigPu

I have recently had the click of death occur on my 40GB Maxtor (which is the second time in one year :mad: ). From what you have described, it sounds like your drive is fine. If the clicks start to get loud, then you are going to have problems. Also, (at least with my comp) the motherboard will not be able to recognize the drive anymore once the clicks start. I wouldn't worry about it at this point, but keep an eye on it

ya I would call western digitally and see if you can get another hdd. Because I had that happen on my IBM deskstar and lost all my infomation twice. But the good thing about western digitally is that they will send you a hdd before you have to send yours back so you can get all your data which is nice. IBM didn't do that.

Back