• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

network ftp server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rd_Falcon

Registered
Hi, I have a network hard drive that I plug directly into my router. I would like to set it up as an ftp server so that I can access it when I am away from the house. I am new to setting up servers, and I was wondering if I just install Apache and that is all, or if I have to do anything special since it isn't operating off a computer.

Also, if there is any other information that you think I should know about doing this, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you want a FTP server just run apache on a spare rig. Those NAS, well most of the consumer level ones, use FAT to format the drive and you can only use FAT with it.

I thought it was possible to run it off of a network attached hard drive though? If I do need an extra computer to do this, I guess I wont be able to because I dont have a spare computer laying around.

Yes, you will need an extra machine to act as an ftp server. On Linux you could use something like pure-ftpd or proftpd with the NAS mounted on the Linux machine. You can't however run an ftp daemon on the actual NAS.

Back