• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CCNA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

hey all im trying to study for my CCNA, i have gns3 and some cisco ios's from when i was in school but was wondering what are some good books to buy that has labs and information to help me study.

These are videos, but check out Todd Lammle and CBT Nuggets. Although Todd is more straight forward in his approach while the CBT videos go off topic a lot of the time.

As for books, Ciscokits(now Certification kits I think) has a workbook that you get when you order a ccna package but I think you can buy it separately.

I just bought the Cisco Press books (ones from Cisco for cert purposes...) and studied and practiced till I passed... worked well enough... CCNA is bout to expire now, looking to study for the CCNP myself.

hey all im trying to study for my CCNA, i have gns3 and some cisco ios's from when i was in school but was wondering what are some good books to buy that has labs and information to help me study.

if i were you, do not fully rely on GNS3, its a great router sim dont get me wrong, but switching is crude.

if you want to do more switching type sim's use packet tracer. or even better, hardware :thup:

gns3 - no switch work, bgp is buggy as well.

packet tracer - no HSRP, ether channel is a little buggy ( shutdown any interface before adding to your channel group, then bring them up )

so use both to your advantage, you will not be able to intermingle them, but i think you can use GNS3 and a 2900 switch and emulate that way. something to keep in mind.

if i were you, do not fully rely on GNS3, its a great router sim dont get me wrong, but switching is crude.

if you want to do more switching type sim's use packet tracer. or even better, hardware :thup:

gns3 - no switch work, bgp is buggy as well.

packet tracer - no HSRP, ether channel is a little buggy ( shutdown any interface before adding to your channel group, then bring them up )

so use both to your advantage, you will not be able to intermingle them, but i think you can use GNS3 and a 2900 switch and emulate that way. something to keep in mind.
i wish i could do that but i dont currently have the cash to buy the hardware right now so for now im just looking for books with labs and practice exams to help me study

i wish i could do that but i dont currently have the cash to buy the hardware right now so for now im just looking for books with labs and practice exams to help me study

Go for the Cisco press books. They come with practice tests that include lab tests like the exam will have. If you are still struggling after reading and taking the practice tests, then look for alternative books.

you dont need to shell out $$$ for a decent lab :)

ebay and being smart is the best to do! you should be able to get some nice 100 meg 2950's and maybe even some 3560's to practice with for roughly 20-50 a piece. but if you're just doing NA gns would be fine, just keep an eye on sub netting, EIGRP, OSPF, and spanning tree for the most part.

i think that was the gist of what my friend said as he took the test before.

Back