• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD4870 Performance Issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

utopiafallen

I just recently completed a new build and have been playing Assassin's Creed patched to 1.02. Judging by the reviews on my card, I should not be having any real performance issues, but I am.

I have all the settings maxed running at 1680x1050 with VSync off and I get pretty steep framerate dips at certain points, particularly noticeable when doing a bird's eye view of Damascus from one of the viewing towers. Doing a leap of faith off one of those towers also has severe stuttering during the leap up into the air sequence when the camera zooms out pretty far.

Here's my build:
Phenom X4 9950BE 125W
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe
Diamond HD 4870 1GB
Corsair Dominator 2x2GB DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15
Western Digital 640GB
Xclio 1000W PSU
Vista Business SP1 64-bit
Catalyst 8.10 w/o Hotfix

So I've got two questions:
1. What performance should I be expecting from this build in Assassin's Creed v1.02?
2. Am I doing something wrong to cause the stuttering and framerate dips? Setting Multisampling to 1 reduces the dips significantly as well as setting Shadows to 2, but I was under the impression that I should be able to handle those settings maxed at my resolution.

Thanks for any help.

1. Not sure, don't own the game for pc.
2. What driver version?

Video drivers can cause frame rate problems as well as game patching, that game's been out awhile so I'd think more a driver problem.

Back