E6400 - Has anyone removed the IHS
View Single Post
12-15-06, 04:22 AM
Low Profile Senior
Join Date: Jul 2006
Protecting IHS-less Core !
I guess it is still quite safe for detaching the IHS in melting those solder since the melting point at 85C rather than using uncontrolled heat source like torch or flame, that method keep a constant temperature at boiling water at 100C.
Important thing is to protect the core once the IHS is removed, since there is a big chance it will be crushed by the heatsink based or heavy water block especially at those 4 corners.
Some olde-scool tips from Duron days,
- A thick glass (2-3 cm), don't use less than 1cm since they will bend "a bit" when under pressure
- High temp putty like this ->
, don't substitute if you're not sure they wont crack or expand too much in high temp
- WD40, just borrow from neighbour since you'll only need one single small burst/spray of it.
- Thin paper like the one for cleaning oil/grease from the face, ask yer GF or mommy, they'll know what it is.
or smooth camera lens paper. Don't substitute this like newspaper since they're too thick and will expand when they absorbed the WD40, and will make it a lot thicker during the putty curing process, which is bad.
1. Clean everything and spray thin and evenly the WD40 at the glass, no drips.
2. Prepare the putty and spread it like below pics and layer them with that thin paper.
3. Press the glass with the sprayed WD40 side on the CPU and clamp it and wait until the putty cured.
The purpose of that paper is to leave some "safe" gap for the putty to expand when heated, and the most important is it won't push of lift off the HSF or waterblock away from the core which is BAD !
Pardon for my rusty MS-paint job !
Just watch out for those tiny capacitors and don't let the putty touch them, I guess you'll have to do some artistic layout to avoid them.
Finally, it is better to practice it 1st at other media to see the putty curing process/behaviour or the WD40 or the putty sipping process through the paper, or at least you' want to make sure that big thick glass can be separated properly when the putty was cured !
Good luck !
█ DIY Fan Controller for 4 Wires PWM Fan
█ Inductors are hotter than mosfets
█ Are you HHH ?
█ DIY 90 Watt Fan Controller
█ Vintage OC-ing Gears Anyone ?
Last edited by bing; 11-09-09 at
. Reason: Update PC-Fahrenheit's linky !
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by bing