• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU wont load after test loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sofmisfortune

Registered
Hey guys,

Ran into a problem after testing loop. left it for about 18 hrs, no leaks. plugged everything in and everything fires up but cpu. ther eare 4 LEDs and only one lights up. I'm fairly sure the board never came in contact with water.Any thoughts on the issue?

Either something got unplugged, or something got wet. I'd check all the connections and look really, really closely for water.

Depends on what fried, if anything fried at all.
Water doesn't always kill things, sometimes it just disables them till they dry out.

I cant find any trace of water and am getting some power on the board. Should I disconnect everything or leave be for a day to dry and try it tommorrow. Also if I did fry something any ideas on how to tell if cpu or board?

Yeah, just DC everything and let it sit for a bit. If it still doesn't start up tomorrow, then i'd start poking around trying to find what's wrong. Might just be a loose wire, or something somewhere else may've given up

The CPU block backplate? Thats my real big first idea. Better check it. make sure there isn't any pins shorting out on the back. You reseat the ram? Did you remove the CPU? Double check the CPU pins on the mobo, they are sooo delicate.

You got the 6 pin extra Mobo connector in?

Reseat the 24 pin and 6 pin mobo power connectors.

Any USB plugs plugged in wrong on the mobo? The 8 pin one, not the back USB connectors.

6 pins? Aren't they 4 or 8 pins? But yeah check that one. Also get a volt meter and check for 12v, 3v, 5v sby, and 5v. All should be working, if one is low, high, or absent you got a psu issue.

Thanks for the info guys. I removed the heat sink checked the cpu pins and they were fine. I lost one of the front washers so removed them all reattatched and bang it fired up. Thanks again!

Back