• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Bulldozer rumors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More like trying to enhance the article already on the fp by adding more info I just got in the same day. If I added it here, it wouldn't be on the fp. But if people click through from the forum to the article, more is always better. :D

I cant wait for bulldozer to come out so the price of those nice phenom II X6's drop like a rock :D
Then I will probably be upgrading to whatever comes after bulldozer, whatever that will be... AM4+ anyone?

I cant wait for bulldozer to come out so the price of those nice phenom II X6's drop like a rock :D
Then I will probably be upgrading to whatever comes after bulldozer, whatever that will be... AM4+ anyone?

I am kind of with you on that. If the X6 gets cheap that it is better for me than any Intel quad (If I were a big gamer it would be diffrent) because I already have two boards that are X6 capable. If the BD burries the X6 I may rethink that though.

I am kind of with you on that. If the X6 gets cheap that it is better for me than any Intel quad (If I were a big gamer it would be diffrent) because I already have two boards that are X6 capable. If the BD burries the X6 I may rethink that though.

I just don't see the point of upgrading my system with every new generation that comes out. This AM2+ board should be fine for several more years with a X6 in there. I am trying to completely skip DDR3 and overhaul when DDR4 comes out.

I just don't see the point of upgrading my system with every new generation that comes out. This AM2+ board should be fine for several more years with a X6 in there. I am trying to completely skip DDR3 and overhaul when DDR4 comes out.

Why not? As Ive stated before, the cost in the long run is nearly the same. If you upgrade often (each release of a new product, same product line not just x2 > x4 > x6 upgrade within same product line), you will have good resale value on your items. Couple that with the sales you can hit and sometimes you wont lose a penny on upgrades. Generally though, it evens out after years of constantly upgrading vs. brand new top end rig every 3-4 years.

I don't resale my items. When I upgrade, my old stuff gets re-used in my 2nd computer. The longevity of the part, how much it costs, and its compatibility with my other stuff are my main concern... My other system also has an AM2+ board. I take a "drive it till the wheels fall off" approach. I buy 1 or 2 new parts every year, but I expect my motherboard to be at least 8 or 9 years old before I consider it trash...

Planning your computer upgrades around skipping the cheapest component in your system (memory) is pretty silly.

Planning your computer upgrades around skipping the cheapest component in your system (memory) is pretty silly.

come on man, motherboards cost too. Your leaving that out silly... I cant justify spending $100+ on new ram and a motherboard when my biggest problem is clearly my 5 year old processor...

Last edited:
Boy do I feel silly, don't take much for me to justify spending 100$+ on just ram. :shrug:

But, justification, and realization, don't always meet eye to eye :rain:

DDR3 still has at least a year before it will be replaced. I hope you can hold out until then. Your video card is already bottlenecked by your cpu/ram.

DDR4 isn't due til second half 2012 at the earliest.

DDR3 still has at least a year before it will be replaced. I hope you can hold out until then. Your video card is already bottlenecked by your cpu/ram.

DDR4 isn't due til second half 2012 at the earliest.

Yeah, that's about what I was expecting... I really don't expect any game to come out that will be stressing my system so bad that I cant play it because I have a "measly" 6 gigs of 1066+ ram and a "crappy" hexa-core overclocked to 4 ghz or better (crosses fingers)...

Well, I was gonna order:p an Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ board at Newegghttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736

But, decided to look further at the Zambezi story and found:eek: AMD insider says Zambezi too slow! No Bulldozer till September?:( May get one anyway and put a 1090t in it till fall. See if it will go further than the 890FX.;)

This is what I am doing, should have the new board here tomorrow. I was going to get the Crosshair V but decided that the features on the Sabertooth were more what I am looking for. Plus my color scheme is black and that dark OD green :rolleyes:

Just going to place the 1090T in there until BD comes out. Kind of a shame about the later release date on BD but rather them get it right and not sell a bad product.

I'd definitely get a BD mobo, but I'm waiting for the CH V, Gigabyte kick my *** for not support AM3+ in my current mobo.

Pretty sure they're referring to unlocked multiplier. They never intended for, nor supported the unlocking of CPUs from two or three cores to four. They're pretending that never existed. :)

"Unleah the 8 cores" is the same thing as "Unleash the Beast".

As for ES information, reports have been taken very skeptical and almost all SS of ES are fake or considered fake.

Recently Llano ES pics have started to pop up as well, and they are regarded as TRUE. Although they are also very early ES samples and were very limited, along with close to zero software support by the benchmarks.

BD will only max out at 8 cores. The 8+core counts you will see are MCM design, and only for Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back