• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Build Log: Water & Wood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is there a better way to do that than freehand with my dremel?

...then I could edge light it too :D

Any place that does laser cutting will most likely be able to do laser etching for you as well. I would contact the guys that are sending you the rad grills and ask them if they do etching, or maybe find a local shop that will do it for you.

If that's no option... steady hand + dremel and you're done. :D

Just mask the panel off for what you want etched and what you don't want etched and take it to a body shop, or someplace that does bead or sand blasting, chances are they will do it for you real cheap and fast, and be happy to help.

While I do appreciate all your ideas....you have to keep in mind that asking anyone to do anything is a challenge for me here (I'm still in Japan :p, and I still don't speak Japanese)....which is why even difficult things for me, I still take on if possible.

I'm not saying I'm scared to go ask, I'm just saying the pain and agony associated with trying to get something done would preclude it from being as simple as it sounds (trust me). ;)

While I do appreciate all your ideas....you have to keep in mind that asking anyone to do anything is a challenge for me here (I'm still in Japan :p, and I still don't speak Japanese)....which is why even difficult things for me, I still take on if possible.

I'm not saying I'm scared to go ask, I'm just saying the pain and agony associated with trying to get something done would preclude it from being as simple as it sounds (trust me). ;)

Ahh i figured you spoke the language, since you are a smart individual :)

I can understand the pains of trying to communicate while not knowing the language. Spent a few weeks in europe and i don't speak anything thing but English and bad english.

Thanks Conumdrum.....I've gotta be able to find stuff like that on eBay I'd imagine. But I'm tempted to not be patient and do it with my Dremel for a simple "shape outline" type approach, course I could always blast it afterward, or redo it altogether when I got the stuff later. Thanks again for the suggestion.

@ TJ, yeah I'd have learned the language by now (I've been here over 5 years), but I've been too busy benching :rofl:

LoL, come on 5 years? Had to of picked up some by now. What part of Japan are you in? I want to visit Japan some time, it is a place of great interest to me.

What kind of sleeve did you use for your cables? I'm trying to find some white that does not let the color of the wires bleed through. Tis a difficult procedure.

Last edited:
I know a little....enough to get me in trouble :rofl:

mdpc sleeve, its nice....although I've very intrigued by Team ColdZero sleeve which is thin enough to allow for heatshrinkless ends :D

ColdzeroTeam said:
TJ07_19_24.jpg

"heatshrinkless" sleeved psu cables :p

TJ07_19_25.jpg
:eek:

LoL, come on 5 years? Had to of picked up some by now. What part of Japan are you in? I want to visit Japan some time, it is a place of great interest to me.

What kind of sleeve did you use for your cables? I'm trying to find some white that does not let the color of the wires bleed through. Tis a difficult procedure.

Miah knows all the important stuff like, "Show me to your ln2", "where does one procure large amounts of electrical power", and "No i am not godzilla, but i may have played him on tv".

Just read the entire thread, that build is amazing! I'm surprised the desk doesn't start moving across the room from the force of the fans!

I know a little....enough to get me in trouble :rofl:

mdpc sleeve, its nice....although I've very intrigued by Team ColdZero sleeve which is thin enough to allow for heatshrinkless ends :D

:eek:

:screwy: I bet.

I figured it had to be mdpc, everyone likes their stuffs. order I shall. Thanks.

Miah knows all the important stuff like, "Show me to your ln2", "where does one procure large amounts of electrical power", and "No i am not godzilla, but i may have played him on tv".

:rofl:

Alright, I've got a faily decent update today...I've made a lot of progress on the door.

I actually had a look at things back at the beginning when the desk was disassembled.

door1.jpg

There were already holes in the side pieces which were intended for use as peg holders for the adjustable shelving, and they were perfectly spaced for the hinge brackets.

door2.jpg

However, they were too close to the edge, and the door would have been sitting out about 10cm away from the desk front. So I drilled some new holes a little further back.

door3.jpg

The brackets were mounted with plastic anchors.

door7.jpg

door8.jpg

And the hinge clips right on.

door9.jpg

But, the hard part about the hinges is the need to inset them into the door. I started out by marking the locations.

door10.jpg

Then drilled some of the area out a bit.

door11.jpg

Then completed the process manually with a straight chisel.

door12.jpg

door13.jpg

This keeps the hinge fully hidden when the door is closed.

door14.jpg

door15.jpg

door16.jpg

door17.jpg

In retrospect, I should have done the front door modifications before the hinges, but its too late for that now. I've decided to do a hexagon shaped (not equilateral) window with the Japanese characters for "water & wood" etched into the plexi window and edge lit.

I knew measuring and getting everything lined up properly would be a challenge, so I went slow and took all my measurements three or four times.

door18.jpg

Then I placed and taped down my character templates.

door19.jpg

And proceeded to cut them out with an exacto knife.

door20.jpg

door21.jpg

Next I busted out my Dremel for some etching action.....I'm working on a time lapse video showing the process...I'll try to get it posted soon :)

door22.jpg

Next I rounded off the hexagonal edges....

door23.jpg

door24.jpg

....and proceeded to etch the boarder the same way I did the characters.

door25.jpg

Then I mimic'd the shape of the window boarder with slightly larger dimensions onto the door.

door27.jpg

And as with the window, I used a CD-ROM to mark the rounded corners of the shape. The CD came in extra handy for marking the center of the radius so I could drill out the corners with my hole cutter.

door28.jpg

door29.jpg

last thing for today's update, I had split a small bit of wood when I was carving out the space for the hinges.

door30.jpg

I threw some glue in the gap and tied it up to dry.

door31.jpg

FYI for future exploits miah, they make a bit for those hinges (well they make serval but those are common hinges). It basicly just bores out a flat hole for you to pop the gide into then you screw it down. (this is done without going through the outside of the door obviously).

As for the glue, Most wood glues dry stronger than the wood so your in good shape.

Thanks TJ :)

Here is the etching time-lapse video :thup:....sorry my big fat head keeps getting in the way :rofl:

Yes in the house....in my workshop room :D I don't have a garage or anywhere else to work....but we have a nice vacuum :p

Back