• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Overclockix Revived

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks! I'll have to look into the best way to add custom themes the right way. I would assume it would just be finding out where to put the theme so that it would appear in the system and then figure out the command to set it to be the default theme for all users. Just throwing it in the user's home directory won't work in this case since it does the home directory building for the live user on the fly upon boot.

Just FYI, I have completed the copying of the overclockix.mbentley.net to www.overclockix.com, including the releases for http download. I have updated all of the links in this thread to point to overclockix.com. I am still going to be maintaining overclockix.mbentley.net but it is now listed as mirror1.overclockix.com. overclockix.mbentley.net will continue to function if there are any external links that point to it. I know that distrowatch still has it listed there and I will have it updated whenever I have more information to be updated there so I am not just bugging the maintainer just for updating a single link. I also need to create a news rss feed and news page but that it's as urgent.

Last edited:
I approved all join requests also from the weekend, there are a few more members listed in each Overclockix team now. :)

Would be nice if we could get an additional graphic on the www.Overclockix.com homepage - I am thinking this blue OCF world picture could be trimmed down and worked into the homepage to spice it up a bit (originally created by CaptainSlug, could be updated or recreated by anyone who wants to try their hand):

OCForums___by_captainslug.jpg

Looks great! :rock:

A few further suggestions:
- replace the debian logo with a lightning bolt
- window buttons yellow/gold

in the above screenshot I had just used theme editor to change the colours to match the forums.

to change the Debian logo would mean editing an existing icon theme, have we chosen an icon them to use? or is someone going to be making a custom Overclockix icon pack?

Thanks! I'll have to look into the best way to add custom themes the right way. I would assume it would just be finding out where to put the theme so that it would appear in the system and then figure out the command to set it to be the default theme for all users. Just throwing it in the user's home directory won't work in this case since it does the home directory building for the live user on the fly upon boot.

on my Ubuntu machine, themes are in folders under /usr/share/themes/ Icon themes are in /usr/share/icons/ I would Imagen that Debian has them in in the same or similarly named folders.

Code:
mark@markLaptop:/usr/share/themes$ ls
AgingGorilla       Default                        Industrial           Raleigh
Ambiance           Dust                           Inverted             Redmond
Atlanta            Dust Sand                      Metabox              Simple
Bright             Emacs                          Mist                 ThinIce
Clearlooks         Esco                           New Wave
ClearlooksClassic  HighContrastInverse            New Wave Dark Menus
Crux               HighContrastLargePrintInverse  Radiance
mark@markLaptop:/usr/share/themes$

there is a file somewhere in /etc that lets you set the default gtk theme for all users, but I cannot remember where it is right now, I will post back if i figure it out.

Last edited:
/etc/skel??

That's how I modified most GUI and application settings for all users in the original Overclockix.

/etc/skel??

That's how I modified most GUI and application settings for all users in the original Overclockix.

I didn't know about that folder, a few years ago (like 2008) I worked on "Icebuntu" and I had to change the gtk theme for all users, but I cannot remember how I did it.

as .bashrc and .profile are in the skel folder you should be able to change many settings just by adding the command to the appropriate script.

As for icons... I mixed and matched several themes in the original overclockix releases.

As for icons... I mixed and matched several themes in the original overclockix releases.

do you still have the original icon theme? it might be a good place to start for the creative people.

do we have an IRC channel or something more instant/interactive than the forum?

edit: does any one know of any shredding programs with a GUI?

Last edited:
I'll have to dig around and see. I'm about 1/3 of the way through reading this thread. Here are some of the design points of the old releases-

folding auto-started with a default configuration and a reconfig script made it easy to reset the username/team and parameters.

prime95, seti, cpuburn, and memtest rounded out the hardware test/DC options.

I used knoppix because it was well-documented how to rebuild it, had persistent home directory, hdd installation script, and LTSP, plus you could choose between a few different DE's/WM's when booting. Its cloopfs compressed about 2GB down to the size of a CD. It was possible back in 2005 to have a pretty complete system with both gnome and kde. Space was a little tight and I did remove a lot of locales, but not all of them.

The important points for most DC clients and their scripts are to make a way to download the latest client if possible. (I made it supplement a built-in copy of the client if it couldn't download it, but distributing most of those programs in the OS may not be legal) I had a way of determining the amount of memory and number of CPU's, so I could determine the optimal number of instances and parameters to use for various DC clients. Have it search for a persistent home and if it finds one, the dc scripts should check for their existence there and use that if its present before setting up fresh work directories in the ramdisk.

Wine was included, and so was an alternative folding script that used the windows client. At the time there were some folding client performance differences not in favor of Linux for some work unit types.

I can get in contact with overdoze, my co-developer, for the LTSP part of it. He'd made his own scripts for running it as a server for diskless clients, although I might be able to dig those up as well.

/etc/skel??

Come to think of it... there was some other stuff that was Knoppix-specific that made it more difficult than just loading a user's config files into /etc/skel. Some scripts that operated behind the scenes when building a user profile and some stuff coming from folders in /usr/local/... but its been too long to remember and probably doesn't have any bearing on a non-knoppix build.

Wow, glad to see some good discussion going on today! Sorry, I've been working non-stop since 9 this morning. While it would make sense that you could just put stuff in /etc/skel, it isn't that easy. I've tried that and it doesn't apply themes as you would think ;) That is why I'd opt for setting up a customized theme and then setting that as the default through the Debian tools they provide (such as how I set the default desktop wallpaper in the extras.sh script)

If someone wants to create a custom icon theme, that would be cool. I certainly don't think it is necessary but more customizations that add a better look/go well with the rest of the custom theme, I am all for.

Arkaine23 - the build process is definitely quite a bit different than that of Knoppix. I originally looking at Knoppix; even possibly using the last Overclockix release before starting fresh with the Debian Live project.

I forgot the mention that if you are looking for a place to talk on irc, I am on synIRC. The best room to talk in would be #occoding. It is an existing room with a few people from OCF who discuss coding.

Last edited:
Good to know. I'm d/l'ing and will probably find some time to play tomorrow.

I forgot the mention that if you are looking for a place to talk on irc, I am on synIRC. The best room to talk in would be #occoding. It is an existing room with a few people from OCF who discuss coding.

Should we have an Overclockix chat thread perhaps? May be easier for non-irc people to talk about doing stuff if we have a good place to put this:

Last edited:
Good idea :thup:

I was trying to think about the best way to organize all of the Overclockix threads that we have. I think I might have to make a master thread and make it a sticky to keep track of everything.

Good idea. I feel like this thread should sort of be that master thread - this is the everything Overclockix thread. I'd clean up the menu in the first post, the special thanks can be dropped to the bottom of the list, and we could also have better headings to make the table of contents easier to understand/navigate.

At a glance, the main purposes this thread serves are: What is it (about, applications included, built status), How to get it (obtaining images, what the images are), How to get involved (bugs, applications, features), How things are done (contributor help needed, needs expanded probably). We should probably organize the outline around those main ideals - the goal is to just keep it simple, and everyone being able to find what they are looking for.

1. www.Overclockix.com - overclockix main site
2. Overclockix revived - everything overclockix and where to find stuff
3. Other threads as needed for specific issues, recruitment, or other non-permanent things

Good point about reworking some of the things in the ToC. I haven't really revised it much since I originally slapped it together. Some proper organization is long overdue.

would it be possible to slip Putty in your build? :) would be great for us cisco guys!

or some other Terminal app that supports Serial would be nice as well.

Nice work on the first post mbentley. I feel like the organization is much better already.

I went through all threads and articles in the links section of the first post, and added a note referencing back to this master thread for basic info or details. That way if someone stumbles in from google or anywhere else onto one of the related threads, they know how to find the central point of it all here in the master thread. :)

@gangaskan: Putty wouldn't be a bad idea. For some reason I never used it on Linux I don't believe, but I use it on windows and it wouldn't be a bad little familiar nugget to include.

Back