• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 32GB RAM Kit Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
G.Skill has sent another RAM kit for review (model # F3-2400C10Q-32GTX) and this time it's not raw speed they're after like their DDR3-2666 kit we reviewed back in May. No, this time it's about speed and capacity. Lots of capacity. 32GB worth.

It's not just big, but pretty darn fast too, at DDR3-2400 with timings of 10-12-12-31.

You can here me talk in the review though, so no more jibber jabber; have a look at some RAM goodness!

gskill-tridentx-2400-32gb-04.jpg

gskill-tridentx-2400-32gb-07.jpg

gskill-tridentx-2400-32gb-19.jpg

gskill-tridentx-2400-32gb-11.jpg

Thanks to the great IMC on the 3770K, it's as simple as setting XMP, saving and rebooting. :)

tridentx2400-32g-stock-sp32m-cwm.jpg

gskill-tridentx-2400-32gb-20.jpg

That's all for now...more to come in the following days/weeks. :attn:

ha! you also got Samsung based kit ;) ... and now I'm curious if your's is clocking in the same weird way :D

Woomack mentioned that these are Samsung based... can you confirm what kind of ic is being used in this kit?

Woomack mentioned that these are Samsung based... can you confirm what kind of ic is being used in this kit?

It's not like 100% info but in SN there is 1500 if you look at photo. The same number has my memory that I won in hwbot competition last month ( manufactured in June ). Most of new TridentX is on Samsung IC but older kits and 2666+ are mainly on Hynix ( like Hokie's review from may on 2666 where SN was 0000 = Hynix ).

Is GSkill now using the new 30nm ic like the ones being used in the Samsung low profile kits?

I think I'm kind of envious of both this kit and the Gskill 4x4gb 2600 10-12-12-31 kit.

These 30nm Samsungs but higher bins are also in Team Xtreem 2400-2600 and some other memory. I just haven't seen them making much more than 2600.
These chips are on market for some months already so it's nothing really new but at the beginning of this year most were Hynix IC in the same kits and now I see memory manufacturers ( not only G.Skill ) switching to Samsung in 2400/2600 series.

As Woomack says, that they're Samsung is an educated guess based on the serial number. I can't confirm it physically - G.Skill doesn't allow us to remove the heatspreaders and they just plain won't tell me what ICs are used in a given kit.

Enter my own conjecture (this is not from G.Skill...have to be clear on that): Part of that is because if they don't tell anybody what ICs they use, they can use different ICs in the same kit. They would probably change the serial number as mentioned, but the model number and specs (speed/timings/voltage) can remain the same. AFAIK, the 2666 kit I reviewed was Hynix, but others have received 2666 kits with the same model # / specs but with Samsung chips.

On a side note, I know they really don't serve much of a purpose for rated-speed use, but these new TridentX heatspreaders are really striking. I like them quite a bit. :thup:

for sure better looks than ripjaws :p ... they could work some more on stickers ;)

About memory I can't really see on photos but I think that this 32GB kit / 8GB sticks are double sided modules while 4GB sticks are single sided but on the same chips.
I don't want to spoil review effect but my kit is making weird timings like 2400 10-10-12-26 1T on stock voltage ;) ( should be similar for 8GB sticks ) ... and some more that probably will be in the review so for sure it will be worth to check it in some time :)

Last night I managed to get the stock speed testing done and ran the in-OS HyperPi stability test, which they passed with flying colors simply using XMP. It's amazing how easy this was. 32GB at this kind of speed didn't used to be an easy thing to do. My, how things have changed.

trix-2400-32gb-hyperpi-stock-stable-cwm.jpg

I'll be running the UltraX R.S.T. Pro 3 probably tonight and then we'll be able to get to some overclocking (and timing experimentation; with Woomack's example, that sounds like it could be fun!).

Quick & dirty overclock. 1.70Vdimm, 1.14 VCCIO = DDR3-2561. :)

maxxmem-1280.8-1.70vdimm-1.15vccio-cwm.jpg

(Note I'm not even pretending this is stable; I'm just searching for frequency with default timings here.)

Also, for the curious, here are the timings as set by XMP.

tridentx2400-timings-memtweakit-cwm.jpg

Well, the UltraX R.S.T. Pro 3 is working its magic, torturing the RAM for all it's worth.

gskill-tridentx-2400-32gb-21.jpg

The kicker is that 32GB of RAM takes forever to test! 15 hours in, two out of five passes have passed without error and it just started the third.

gskill-tridentx-2400-32gb-22.jpg

Why, oh why, did I decide to always run five passes for reviews? Based on this I think it'll take ~36 hours to finish. :eek:

On the plus side, no errors after two tests generally means there won't be any. :)

34 hours later, I can say with absolute certainty this kit is stable at its rated speed. :D

gskill-tridentx-2400-32gb-23.jpg

Will the kit run @1T?

How much of bump to vccio, vccsa to run default speed/timings?

VCCSA is default. VCCIO is 1.25V, I believe per XMP. I had to manually set that though, the MVG didn't do it by default.

No idea on 1T; this testing was done per XMP spec, but I'll certainly test.

Rather than piecemeal any more benches, I just went to work and wrote the review this weekend. Of course, I'm surbscribed and more than happy to answer any questions if you have them. Cheers!

trix-2400-32gb-featured-wm.jpg

What's black, red and goes really fast? Well, fast for an inanimate object anyway. Why,G.Skill's TridentX F3-2400C10Q-32GTX, 32GB, DDR3-2400 memory kit of course!

... Return to article to continue reading.

You could probably make something like 2600 10-13-13 1.85V but well, who will use it 24/7 ;)
You could also try 2400 10-10-12-26 1T 1.65V. It's working fine for my kit but I'm not sure if will act the same on 4 sticks ( most other settings in review are about the same ). 2500+ clock is working a bit better than with my memory ... not so big difference but mine needs higher voltage to pass spi32m.

samsung1.png

I was making some stuff for article today and made this. As I said before 2600 10-13-13-26 1N ... but 1.85V.
This is about max of these sticks. 2666 = no boot, no matter what voltages or timings.

Back