• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual boot on raid help winxp+linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intrepidous1

I'm looking for a tutorial of some sort or user help in setting up a dual boot. I need winxp so I can program vb.net and c++. I want to install linux to aclimate myself w/it for obvious reasons. I just installed two new maxtor 300G maxtor ultra 16 HD's configured as RAID stripped. So far I have installed winxp home and tried to install linux xp desktop 2006. and it got somewhat confusing. Which Linux OS should I start out with and how should I partition/repartition to accomplish this? Which OS should I install first? What it be better / easier to get a sata/150 PCI card and run the two sata drives as raid and add a ata 133 drive and run linux os off that drive and winxp off the raid volume or is that even necessary. Any help, direction, or suggestions would be greatl appreciated. Thx in adv. DJ

sry i don't know much about RAID but

what i do is (again i dont use raid)
First install XP and leave free space on the hdd for Linux and linux swap space.
Second install linux, most distros have built boot loader (grub or lilo) and it will auto detect the Windows install.

notbad said:
sry i don't know much about RAID but

what i do is (again i dont use raid)
First install XP and leave free space on the hdd for Linux and linux swap space.
Second install linux, most distros have built boot loader (grub or lilo) and it will auto detect the Windows install.
You got it, but the part that makes this interesting is the raid. It should be no problem if you can find a distro that has the driver for your raid on the install cd. Sometimes, though, finding a driver at all for raid like that can be an issue. What raid chipset do you have?

One note of interest. I had a hard time getting the driver installed during Windows setup because my brand new floppy drive i bought specifically for loading the raid driver didnt work. In Bios, instead of running it in enhanced which in necessary for raid functionality, I swithced to compatible. It didnt load any hd's or IDE's. After post and bios, it booted directly into linux xp desktop 2006. I suppose I could run linux by changing the bios setting but I want to install a more versitile and constructive Linux OS

intrepidous1 said:
I have an Asus P4P800E-Deluxe motherboard, socket 478, with an Intel 865PE chipset.
Is the raid built into that chipset, or is it a separate chip? I'm probably not the best person to answer your question, because I haven't used raid in like 4 years.

Last edited:
Back