• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA - Z77X - UD3H vs UD5H - Someone convince me that the UD5H is not worth it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

txus.palacios

Dear OCers,

Title says it all.

I am looking at Z77 boards, since ASR hasn't still answered my prayers and hasn't replied my TSD email with a fix for the D6 error I'm facing, and I need my i5 running ASAP.

So, I decided not to buy another ASR, at least until the Tech Support Department replies my prayers, (funny though, the system died a week after the warranty expired, but, I do have at least another year of warranty (minimum 2 years, Spanish law)).

I do not like the look of ASUS boards (I'd rather not have anything blue, prefer my black-white-silver-gold color scheme), plus they're way more expensive than their Gigabyte counterparts, so I discarded them. The only board that may look interesting is the Sabertooth. But that's another story.

Neither do I like the MSi boards. For me, they're a no-go since I had AM3 boards' VRMs die in fire. Literally. With underclocking. Sounds cool, heh?

So that forces me to buy something from Ming-Hsiun Liu's storage-named company. I spent a lot of time comparing boards, and I managed to reduce my choices to the UD3H and the UD5H. The UD5H only has these pros over the UD3H: dual Gigabit Ethernet (Atheros+Intel), ALC898 sound card, and more USB3.0 ports. None of them are of any use to me (already have a Gigabit CT card, a Bravura 7.1 sound card, and I only have a USB 3.0 peripheral, a thumb drive). Plus, there's a con, the UD5H lacks a PS/2 port. I like my NKRO 6Gv2. And it needs PS/2. So, it's almost clear, huh?

Well, here comes my dilemma. You read about my fear of pyromaniac VRMs. And look at the photos of the UD3H and the UD5H. What's the clearest difference? The UD5H has one more heatsink on the VRMs.

I do know that I can always get a heatsink and some thermal paste and stick a heatsink there. But, I don't know. That scares me. Anyone has any experience with the UD3H?

Thanks!
A fellow OCer, Txus.

Unless you are going sub zero the VRM's shouldn't be an issue. Even then I have seen people doing it no problem.

I'm also considering the Z77X UD3H. My current board which is a 2009 Gigabyte uses Realtek ALC898 and I'm very happy with the sound quality, yet Realtek is only on the more expensive UD5H. So my question is, if I buy the UD3H will I notice much difference in sound quality with the VIA VT2021 codec/High Definition Audio, is it good or rubbish by comparison or nothing much in it?

I like the new sniper m3 z77 board...but that's just me xD
I'd go for the ud3h, can't really justify the extra expense for the d5h...Only if you have budget concerns though, if not, be my guest!

Aight, I'll get the Z77X-UD3H if I can't get ASR to repair my board. Anyway, will send it to RMA (Spanish law, 2 years, everything).

Personally, I do not like the Sniper series. Too expensive. Instead of getting a Sniper, I'd get an EVGA FTW or an ASUS ROG.

Also considering now the Sabertooth... too sexy...

Dear OCers,

Well, here comes my dilemma. You read about my fear of pyromaniac VRMs. And look at the photos of the UD3H and the UD5H. What's the clearest difference? The UD5H has one more heatsink on the VRMs.

The VRM differences between the UD3H and UD5H are deeper than that- the UD3H is only 6-phase, while the UD5H is 12-phase.

And as you've already noticed, I'm not sure why they have decided to leave off one of the Mosfet coolers. I guess you could always add your own...

for your extra money, you also get more 6gbps SATA connectors, Firewire, and a second Gigabit ethernet port. Oh and the marginally better audio codec.
None of which you care about for overclocking, of course!

but the 12-phase VRM is a draw for me.

you really don't need the extra phases man, I have both boards, both max out my 3770K at 5.3ghyz and can do 4.8ghz 24/7 without issue. Both can also do LN2 without issue upto 6.6ghz.

The VRM on the UD3H really is extremely powerful for only 6 phases, the UD5H might let you sleep better at night.

I was also debating between the UD3H and UD5H a few days ago. Ultimately I decided to go with the UD5H because of the better on-board audio and additional internal I/O connectors (UD3H has 6 SATA connectors, whereas the UD5H has 9). In the past I have regretted my decision to go with cheaper motherboards with fewer connectors. My Abit IP35-E, for example, only has 4 SATA ports. Within a couple of years after purchasing it I found myself looking at SATA add-in cards! Spending the extra $30 on the UD5H gives me more peace of mind in this regard.

I am almost convinced to get the Z77 Sabertooth. I completely love the aesthetics, and the 5 year warranty really pays for itself, I think.

I don't really use that many S-ATA ports. Rocking a NAS. I only have an SSD, an ODD (that will eventually get sold to buy an external ODD for the little use I give it or eventually go USB controller way), a 1TB HDD, and a backup drive.

And as far as connectors is concerned, I only need two frontal USB 3 ports, and 4 back USB 2 ports. Of course, I also need a RJ45 jack.

EDIT: Ended up pulling the trigger on the UD5H. I've seen like 4-5 OCF users with GA-Z77X-UDxH boards, and they can't all be wrong.

Last edited:
EDIT: Ended up pulling the trigger on the UD5H. I've seen like 4-5 OCF users with GA-Z77X-UDxH boards, and they can't all be wrong.

Depends on how you define, "wrong". :D

I'm jumping in bed with Gigabyte (UD5) for the first time since 2001. :popcorn:

I went with the UD5H because of the competitive pricing, 12 Phase VRM, and the additional heatsink on the mosfets. It has been a solid board so far! Worked well with my 2500K and now my 3570K. Gigabyte's boot loop issues with the P67 and Z68 boards are gone with the Ivy chip.

OK. Bad news and good news.

Bad news is that the e-tailer I buy things from does not expect to receive the UD5H any time soon, distributor is having somekind of problem.

Good news is I'm glad he's a friend of mine and agreed to replace the board with another one. The only one they expect to receive anytime soon is ROG Maximus V Gene. So, I guess I'll end up with the Gene and just buy a dual EK bridge. It seems to be a superb board for Z77, and, including the new SLi FC bridge, it'll end up being cheaper, too. LOL.

Now I just need ATLAS, the distributor, to say he doesn't expect the MVG neither. And then, someone's head will roll. Hehe. I just want to get my i5 computer up asap!! Q_Q

OK. Bad news and good news.

Bad news is that the e-tailer I buy things from does not expect to receive the UD5H any time soon, distributor is having somekind of problem.

Good news is I'm glad he's a friend of mine and agreed to replace the board with another one. The only one they expect to receive anytime soon is ROG Maximus V Gene. So, I guess I'll end up with the Gene and just buy a dual EK bridge. It seems to be a superb board for Z77, and, including the new SLi FC bridge, it'll end up being cheaper, too. LOL.

Now I just need ATLAS, the distributor, to say he doesn't expect the MVG neither. And then, someone's head will roll. Hehe. I just want to get my i5 computer up asap!! Q_Q

Since you are on water, you will be OK with that Gene and it is a fine board! The Gene does not accommodate large CPU heat sinks very well as they tend to make the no. 1 Pcie slot unusable.

Yup. No problems with heatsink clearance since '10.

And, great news!!! They just confirmed they'll receive it NEXT WEEK! Woot!

It will end up being 220 EUR because I need to order the dual slot SLi bridge, but, well. I think I will eventually go microATX and thereby use that dual slot SLi bridge a lot. Anyway, no problems!

Back