• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a decent case any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I am looking for a new case to build my computer. I don't the most expensive Lian Li case, but a decent nice would be good..The case doesn't have to have acrylic side panel either. that's not important to me.

I would like a nice easy access to the motherboard though.

Any thoughts people?

Chieftec make some very nice, sturdy and well designed cases. For example, the Dragon systems are avaiable in full or midi towers which provide rails for the optical drives to put them easily in and out, the hard-disk drive holders slide out allowing more room for working on the motherboard and plenty of holders for case fans to increase your airflow. A dragon full tower has 14 drive bays, 6 x 5.25" and 8 x 3.5" Drives. they are available in multiple colours, they are secure as they allow you to lock the front and side of the case. They are made of a good quality strong metal.

Craig

Stedeman said:
I am 100% behind CCW on the dragons / Chieftec cases here is a link to one of the best places to get them http://store.yahoo.com/directron/chieftec.html

They are very good cases, I was using the Dragon as an example as i have one therefore know a bit about it. For more information on Chieftecs other designs you can check here. They have mnay different designs of cases available all of them with the same excellent build quality.

Craig

I have had many cases run through my hands (built many rigs for others and work on many more older rigs) and none have been as sturdy as the Chieftec. For my last rig I went back to the promised land and got myself the full size Chieftec. I had sold my original Dragon and got a super flower to replace it and regretted it ever since (I have a problem with building a new system every 6-9 months).

Stedeman said:
I have had many cases run through my hands (built many rigs for others and work on many more older rigs) and none have been as sturdy as the Chieftec. For my last rig I went back to the promised land and got myself the full size Chieftec. I had sold my original Dragon and got a super flower to replace it and regretted it ever since (I have a problem with building a new system every 6-9 months).

The build quality of the Chieftec cases is exceptional. They sure beat all those cheap and nasty cases you can buy. I agree with the above, the Chieftecs are very cheap for wha they are. There arent many better cases, they are designed and built to last. The only gripe is that the motherboard tray isnt removable but this is negligable as it isnt very useful anyway except when taking off or putting on a heatsink and fan.

Craig

Thanks HUGELY guys...are you sure you don't all work for this company heheh....SO, let me ask you this then, I wil go look at the sites and make a decision....But then why does Lian Li get SO much attention, marketing??? Or are they the Rolls Royce of cases,and you pay a lot for them??

With Lian-Li you pay for the name, and you pay for great craftsmanship...

I'm buying the Coolermaster TAC-T01...Its amazing looking, and I didnt want to spend 150 (with no psu included) but I really like the way it looks. And its built like a tank.
Also, it won Case of the Year Honors at Maximum PC.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...23-04.JPG/11-119-023-06.JPG/11-119-023-07.JPG

its so elegant...whats not to love (except the price)

i like the antec super lanboy, this damn thing is sexy....2 120 mm fans = awsme cooling and it so quiet, and its nice and small too...id highly reccomend it.

viper69 sent me a PM this morning about cases that have USB in the front so I thought ID post how you connect here for everyone.

Depending on the motherboard, it will have a 9-Pin USB Connection somewhere and from the USB ports on the front of the case there are 8 Pins.

- 2 x Ground
- 2 x + Data
- 2 x - Data
- 2 x VCC (Or Sometimes called + 5v)

There will be the 9th pin on the left hand side of this USB socket and a blank one below it.

Each column of two pins is where you connect each pair so from the right to the left you have the 2 ground pins, then the 2 + data, 2 - data followed by the two vcc pins. Nothing goes on the 9th pin or in the blank space.

Some cases instead of having separate pins have blocks pre-made up so you dont have to work out which pins go where.

Craig

lostshoe420 said:
With Lian-Li you pay for the name, and you pay for great craftsmanship...

I'm buying the Coolermaster TAC-T01...Its amazing looking, and I didnt want to spend 150 (with no psu included) but I really like the way it looks. And its built like a tank.
Also, it won Case of the Year Honors at Maximum PC.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...23-04.JPG/11-119-023-06.JPG/11-119-023-07.JPG

its so elegant...whats not to love (except the price)

If you happen to have a MicroCenter within reasonable distance, you can purchase a Wavemaster for $136. Though if you don't have a store nearby, it isn't worth it to pay for shipping thru MicroCenter. The CoolerMaster Praetorian case is selling for only $112 at MC.

Back