• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rate my first ever custom gaming rig please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceThatJaw

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F

RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD320KJ 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

OCZ OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

So its mainly for gaming and multimedia and it comes out to about 900$.

High how high could I overclock the CPU with the stock case that I got? It has 4 fans in it.

I wouldn't suggest that case. Raidmax cases are generally known to be lower quality. I would suggest an Antec 900 or CM 690. Much better cases, and cheaper. The rest of the list looks fine, although I would scale back the PSU and get a better heatsink instead of the stock one. You can get a Xigmatek HDT S-1283 for around $30, and will get you much farther OCing your CPU than the stock Intel one would. Throw on an aftermarket heatsink, and you should easily be able to reach at least 4.0ghz.

I really don't like the case. Don't mean to bash your taste, but it doesn't perform well and it is overpriced. I agree about the Antec 900 or the CM 690, both are very good cases.

Also, an aftermarket HSF is important if you want to overclock. The Xigmatek is very good, as is the TRUE.

Yeah it's a pretty well known fact you'll get about 5-10% performance increase with a more brand name case :rolleyes:

Built looks great overall, changes I'd make would be small personnal ones. HDD to a seagate 7200.11 drive, and a cheaper PSU (you don't need 700 watts! Unless you plan on going crossfire later, in that case you'll need a new mobo or bite the bullet now and get an X48 board).

That case is fine (although kinda pricey IMO), get the case that you like the looks of. As long as a case has the 120 exaust and side intake it'll work great.

Overkill PSU (unles you plan on Crossfire sometime).

Poor quality case...but cases are subjective.

I would have gotten Seagate ES.2 drives or WD Black 640GB...

aside from that it looks good!

If you want a midtower go for the CM690 (better for cable management) or the Antec 900. If you want to look at a full tower look at the CM HAF932. If you want the Raidmax, get it.

I'd change that HDD for a WD6401AALS. It's one of the best hard drives out right now. You'll love it.

You don't need such a big PSU. I'd recommend the Corsair 650TX. If you want such a big PSU, go for the Corsair 750TX (you don't need it).

Great choices for RAM M/B and CPU!! :thup:

Last edited:
Go with a cheaper PSU and use the extra money to get a good fan for the cpu.

Also if you do plan to OC I suggest to save some money and get an 8400 instead of an 8500, since they are basically the same thing.

I got a low quality case on my first build.

It now holds my computer with absolutely nothing else on it. No side panels, no fans 'cept for one nicked from a old dell in the back, no handle on the top, etc.

Its like buying a french car, everything just falls on over time. :)

Also, someone said something about getting a new mobo for crossfire. IIRC the UD3P has crossfire support and all that.

Great choice on cpu/mobo/memory ... I have a Raidmax case for one of my rigs and it works fine. Got it for $35. What kind of cooling you going with?

I am using this for gaming and multimedia but Im not trying to OC to much. Probably around 3.8

I am looking to get another GPU in the near future for Crossfire which the mobo fully supports.

I might get some more ram just for fun.

Im confused though becuse thoses cases you said are really expensive and so is the HDD.

Whats wrong with Samsung and the case has 4 fans. Will they malfunction or something?

you might wanna wait on the vid card til next month and see what the gtx295 does to prices if not get that actual card :/

The CM 690 is cheaper than the Raidmax (before MIR that is). If you want to save some the Antec 300 is an awesome case.

Also if you want to save some more, the E8400 is supposed to be able to OC to 3.8GHz easily.

There's nothing wrong with the HDD you chose. The WD drives we mentioned are just the best 7200RPM drives out now. You will see much better performance out of these drives. Also, you may be surprised how quickly you use up 320GB (then again, maybe not). If you want to save five bucks, get the WD6400AAKS. It's basically the same drive and you probably won't see any difference between the two anyway.

For crossfire, just be aware that a P45 m/b will run the second PCI-E slot at only x8, not x16. If you plan to go xfire, get the 750tx.

Well, best xfire means an X48 (or X58) chipset. Those get more expensive though.

Examples would be:
Asus Rampage Formula - $288.99
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 - $229.99
DFI DK X48-T2RSB PLUS - $179.99

You would probably be better off getting one of the P45 boards (like the one you chose) and just taking the performance loss for xfire, or spending more money now and getting the 4870x2 or even better, get an EVGA GTX260 Core 216 and when the 295 comes out step up to that.

Those boards are pretty pricey man. Im sure they are worth the cash but I really need to stick to 850$ total.

I have to purchase Vista 64 bit which is like another 120$.

If I have 2 of the 4780's like the one I picked in xfire I should be good for awhile right?

I mean even if the 2nd is running 8x I'll still be able to max out everything right?

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit is $100 on Newegg ($109.99 TigerDirect and ~$126 Amazon).

You should be able max out with a single GPU - I can still max most recent games out with my 8800GTS.

As for what BigBadBaz said with P45 vs. X48/58, I'd spend a little more if you don't plan on upgrading for some time. Here's an article to help you on your chipset choice, albeit it's a slightly older article... I'll update if I find a better one.

Last edited:
I can't stress enough the importance on going with the X48 chipset. If you checkout the games in that link (the 3dmark crap is....well crap) you see with high resolutions (need for high bandwidth) it takes a pretty large hit, and that's with the 4850! Imagine with the next generation cards it'll get worse and even more pronounced, making the investment for a second video card worthless.

I agree with the CPU cooler, they are a must for enthusiasts. If you register to this forum, chances are you are one. Oh, and it keeps your precious silicone healthaayy! :D

As for the case, that one is fine, but I would seriously suggest the P182 or CM RC690. I have the Antec 900, and it really wasnt worth the dremeling and mods to me. :bang head

-D

If you are going Crossfire, I certainly hope you have a monitor that supports 1920x1200 or greater, otherwise, one top end card (HD4870 1GB or GTX280) will suffice. Otherwise, its a waste IMHO.

As for what BigBadBaz said with P45 vs. X48/58, I'd spend a little more if you don't on upgrading for some time. Here's an article to help you on your chipset choice, albeit it's a slightly 'older' article... I'll update if I find a better one.
Thats quite an interesting article... What more interesting about it is that a 16X PCIe1.1 slot doesnt bottle neck one of those cards, yet an 8X PCIe2.0 slot @ 8x (which is the same as 16x 2.0) does????

Last edited:
Back