• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not to happy with Dell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uberwoot

I'll start by telling you guys the story.

I use a computer for work and its one that i bought. Recently i had to do a system exchange on it and dell put that in on the 24th. I explained to them that this is a work computer and it cant be done for long and that on the 8th i will be leaving for Germany until Oct.. The e mail i got said 3-5 days for the system to get to me and the Corporate Case Manager said 5-11 days. Well the first order canceled on the 31st due to the hdd not in stock. 7 days for them to figure out they dident have the hdd instock" Also during that time the delivery date changed about every hour.

The 32st i as given a new order number and i told them that i have to have the system by the 7th since i will be leaveing for Germany on the 8th and wont be back until Oct. so i will not be able to return the system until i get home on Oct. 22st. I was told my Order would ship out on Friday of last week or Monday of this week. I called yesterday and The system might not even be built yet. Or it could be sitting on a dock in Malaysia.

So today is the 7th i don't even have a tracking number or know if my system is even built. Tomorrow i'll be on a plane for Germany and i was forced to buy a brand new HP so i can do my job.

So some people might ask why cant i have someone ship the system back for me? Well that would be easy but the system will have to be boxed since dell is supplying the box and since my name is on the line i don't wanna chance $2,500 on someone boxing it up wrong and it not arriving safe. Anyone who has ever bought anything from me knows i take shipping items very seriously and i ship them i pack them extremely well.

So looks like Dell is saying i;'ll get my replacement system when it gets there and they will get my system back when it gets to them. In Oct. When i get back. I made it very clear i needed the system here before the 8th or i would not be able to ship the old system back untill Oct. And i even gave them enough time.

But to be fair i told Dell i would be more than happy to take the system with me to Germany and they can ship my new system to germany and cover for return shipping on the old one but they dident want to do that.

I made countless phone calls , sent countless e mails to try and work with Dell but nothing. One phone call just to see how long it would go on, One of the Reps said they were going to look up a number and put me on hold for 5 hours " i called with skype and why i wanted i played WOW" After 5 hours i went to bed. Few reps online lied to me i have the chat logs from that.

But i will say that Wayne did work with me but we will see if it happens. The new system dident have a TV tuner, wifi had a better mouse and kb and bluetooth and he said after the new system comes he can send out the parts and the IT guy from my work "dell cert." can install them or they can wait there for a tech to come and install them whenever i can set it up. I would think normly they would cancel a order and redo the order with those but it seems he wants to work with me now but it still dosent change the fact my system wont be here by when i need it and when they promised me i would have it.

tomorrow at the airport i'll give them a call and see if they can tell me if they got the system yet to ship it to me or if it hasent even left malaysia yet.

As of right now i would not recamend Dell to anyone unless you can go without a computer for a long time.

are you going through a sales rep in the buisness department? or through emails and basic customer service?

I went thought it all. The guy who they finly put me though is the Corporate Case Manager. When i called the normal non corp XPS support line the said the only person who can authorize a system exchange was him and put me through to him.

When i call one line they just bounce me back and forth between customer service and corp service and i never get any of my questions answered unless i call the Corporate Case Manager's direct line.

I spent hours on the phone playing the, you have the wrong dep. you need this one and let me patch you to them and when i get to them you have the wrong dep. let me put you back to the one you just came from.

Currently the status is. In production with a est. arival date of the 21st. but that changed 12 times today.

So far out of the 50-60 people at Dell i talked to only 2 could awnser my question of whats going on with my system. Is it in productiuon is it delayed is the order even real? One was Diane who was very nice who tryed to get the Dep. that handles exchanges to e mail me or call me and she was unable to "she even e mailed me for them" and the Corporate Case Manager who was able to tell me there was no delay on parts and the system is on time. but it could be on a dock wateing to come to them for final shipment to me or it could be on its way.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal, especially since Dell has better customer service than most corporations. Bureaucracy, inefficiency, and lack of concern for the customer is so rampant in many business' these days; almost has become a "business model" to stonewall the customer and keep them firewalled from contact as much as possible, with the mechanisms within the corporate structure, that could actually resolve product/service issues.

Dell is actually ranked very low in regards to customer service (unless you ask them). A quote from an article:

The well known and respected ZDnet also did an article in regards to Dell's plummeting customer service ratings. There is a similar story from CNET.

Even Dell Small Business gets a sad 5.3/10 at FatWallet, the most popular deals website on the net. Similarly, Dell Outlet Home gets a 4.9, Dell Canada gets a 5.3 and Dell Home gets a 5.6.

Dell also "deceived its customers in massive 'bait and switch' scheme" according to the Supreme Court.

I have had a horrible experience the 3 times I dealt with them and typically try to avoid them. My apologies to any Dell fans but a bit of Googling will show their customer service rankings have dropped off severely in recent years.

This is why I build every computer system i use, even at work. Basic customer service can't be obtained without a corporate service contract.

While it's true that turns me into the computer tech, the number of problems are really really low since my boss is a tech head himself and he keeps the computers clean. All in all, our "house brand" PC ends up being more reliable than the Dells that are also in use (which have been pretty good machines actually).

my dell experiences have always been good, but i do all my shopping and dealings through small buisness.

Update today. Left a message with the Corporate Case Manager on the 8th in the morning asking him about a status update but he hasent contacted me back yet.

All dell can tell me now is it is in production. It has been in production for 16 days and i cant get a awnser of when it is gonna be here.

I dont see whats so hard about them knowing when they will send it. This just shows you how lose operations are ran at Dell and they dont track anything what so ever.

If i dont have a awnser of when i will get my system by tomorrow im damanding my money back and if they dont refund me in full i'll just take them to small clames. Im done with Dell.

I hate hearing about how a company with reputable customer service can still drop the ball. My experiences with Dell have always been really good, but I've had similar situations to yours with other companies. Sorry to hear about all the problems.

Hopefully you get in touch with someone that decides to rectify the situation somehow.

I've heard of Dell Canada doing this quite a few times. Sometimes it takes weeks, even months for orders to get fulfilled.

Hopefully yours get settled soon positively.

I will NEVER deal with Dell again. Just last month I cancelled my Dell Financial Card (basically Dells's own CC) after I noticed they had increased my apr on it, for NO reason, my account was in good standing with them and other places I do with business.

When i called them to ask them why they basically said some jiberish...blah blah...blah. I asked to speak with a supervisor, which they let me do, she then stated "although your a great paying customer in good standing, we can not lower your rate", "why" I asked...blah blah blah.

I then said, OK, cancel my account, "but wait" she said, "No, I'm done", cancel my account, take care....bye.

This is my approach to businesses anymore, either I get the service I should expect, or I'm done with you...period.

Update. Now the est. delivery date says temporarily unavailable.

I can tell you right now. Im not gonna be happy unless they start chucking free stuff at me.

Dell = Fail, better off with a Compaq lol.

Quote from the latest email i got.

"I have had the order expedited but manufacturing still not giving us an ETA for shipping." Meaning my computer hasent even been started yet and probly wont get here from Malaysia for another month.

Monday i will be taking legal actions to get my money back + damages since this computer was used for work and they failed to honor a warranty resulting in losses.

Curently on the phone with Dell demanding a refund. Im giving them a chance to do the right thing. So far i been transfered 5 times and on the phone for 45min

omg im on the phone with a total idiot who dosent understand anything. 5 trys and 15min for him to filnly get my ordernumber right.

There trying to transfer me back, there supervisor is not wanting to talk to me im damanding to talk to him.

On the phone with XPS. Guy is getting info before he sends me to his supervisor. no info is knowen about my order still.

No call back, on the phone right now current transfer count is 15 for this call.

Refuse to give me my money back so they better offer comp. aka tons of free stuff

Wayne Schmiesing Dell's Corporate Case Manager lied to me about 3 days ago. In a phone call he stated the computer was on time and there were no shortages or delays. Today on the phone talking to a rep i found out the chassy is out of stock delaying my computer.

So as soon as it comes i hope there isent a scrape on it or it dosent suffer from any of the problems the iuther 630's had or dell will be replaceing the part or the whole thing. Isent costing me anything. But i read the hdd led's bling very fast and if that happens they will need to replace parts untill the led stop blinking :) Also if the lights dont work as advertised well then i guess there gonna fix those to untill im happy. But if they do offer me killer comp for all this then i will be less picky. But i better cream of the crop XPS's. Also if the most current bios is not installed on it i guess they will need to send a tech out to install it. See i can be a a hole like them.

Update after Dell aggroed me today "wow players know what i mean lol" i got some huge changes to my order page. For the past month it displayed no shipping date untill just now and its showing a delay so i hope i get it on monday. but im not going to hold my breath. i just want this ordeal to be over with.
Shipping Method: Next Business Day
Shipped Date: 4/10/2009
Estimated Delivery Date: 4/13/2009 (updated)
Carrier: Data Temporarily Unavailable
Tracking Number: Data Temporarily Unavailable

Last edited:
So far i got

X-Fi titanum
Razor lachness
Logitech G15 keybord
Tv tuner
Wifi

Soon as i get the new system i just gotta call and they are gonna send the parts out in a service call to be installed.

upgraded speakers dont know what ones but im getting um lol

Right now im 50% happy. When Dell says they are sorry for lieing to me then i will be 100% happy.

Tracking number is posted. Says it should be here on monday so well see.

Last edited:
Got my PC yesterday. But as usualy some things i should of got in the computer were downgraded so i sent them a e mail saying this is not the system we agreed apon and they better either.

-send out the parts we agreed on and a tec to install them

-do another system exchange for a upgraded one.

So from this we can see the fallowing.

-Dell lies
-Dell does the old bait and switch

I'll post what actions Dell takes to fix the problem.

update, No reply today.

Update. Contacted dell and wayne was not in the office today and i was told he will call me tomorrow. Basicly heres the beef

Cpu i was told i was getting was a Extreme edtion. i recived a non extreme edition

Sound card should of been a X-fi titanum, i recived a XtremeMusic SB0770

Media card rader was not present in the pc. just a hole, nothing to block the hole like on the empty optical drive bay, you pop the pannel down and its just a hole.

Called dell today. Wayne was not as his desk. I left him a message. Still no e mail or call to the reguarding the previous e mails or calls to support.

Update, A week later no responce to why they did the bait and switch. Wayne has not returned my e mails or phone calls from last week. Old system WILL NOT be shiped untill i get the system i was offered and we agreed on. I will not be the victom of a bait and switch.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with dell and they are sending out the right system byt might be some problems with this order.

1 they dont offer nvidia cards on this system so that might screw up this order and they might have to do the old bait and swtich again if they dont offer the cards any more and do like last time where they cancel the order then change 4 things on it for cheaper stuff.

But will see when the new system gets here.

They will because i'll just keep doing exchanges untill i get what i ordered. then all the outher systems will go back.

Current order they downgraded me from a Q9650 to a QX6850. Still demanding my QX9650 and i wont stop untill i get it.

Back