• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are all the diffrences between each variety of P5K mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OBLIVIONLORD

I can find 1 damn site that shows the diffrences for each and every one of the versions. The versions on Newegg are...

P5K-SE
P5K-VM
P5K
P5K-V
P5K-E
P5K-WS
P5K-Deluxe
P5K-Premium
P5k3-Premium

That's alot of diffrent freaking model's. So perhaps someone would enlighten me please. Thanks

http://techgage.com/article/asus_p5k_deluxe_wifi-ap/1

According to this site they say that the P5k3 = P5k Deluxe except with added DDR3 support. Nothing else that entirely separates itself from the P5K3. This review was done after the P5K3 review.

The P5k Premium seems to be the big DDR2 guy in town because...
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=2077518

Storage:
Deluxe
Southbridge Supports Raid 0 and 1
Premium
Southbridge Supports Raid 0, 1, 5 and 10

Audio:
Premium adds ASUS AI Audio 2

Deluxe: Memory Standard DDR2 1066 / 800 / 667 MHz The chipset officially supports the memory frequency up to DDR2 800MHz. Tuned by ASUS Super Memspeed Technology, this motherboard natively supports up to DDR2 1066MHz

Premium: DDR2 1066

"Asus changed all the power mosfet around the socket,added some capacitors around the pcb and first of all added a mosfet on the ddr2 channel. In the p5k deluxe there's only 1 mosfet for 4 channels with some problems of stability. With premium there're 2 mosfet. Asus declared that with this solution the new premium can work stable with ram over 1400 mhz!"

It appears that for DDR2 the Premium is better than the Deluxe.

Newegg sells the Deluxe for $10 cheaper than the Premium. Much better buy to go with the Premium instead of the Deluxe.

Deluxe Southbridge Supports Raid 0 and 1
I'm running RAID 5 on my southbridge.

Unfortunately, I got the Deluxe right before they came out with the Premium. The only real difference is the power circuitry. Which sucks, because now the resale value of my board is virtually $0.

What about the other versions of the PK5 that I listed above? I still cant find a site that compares them all.

The P5K is essentially the same as the deluxe, but has the ICH9 southbridge instead of the ICH9R. The P5K-WS is a workstation model that has 64-bit PCI slots, which are often used for high-bandwidth add-on cards like gigabit network controllers and RAID solutions. The P5K-E appears to be like the P5K-Deluxe, but with one less gigabit LAN controller.

Do these boards support intel matrix raid? If so, is matrix raid using the fastest portion of the drives for raid 0 still the hot ticket like it was several months ago?

Every board with the ICH9R chipset (P5K Premium and Deluxe, maybe others) will support it. I still think it's a good choice. Mine is running great.

There are some noted problems w/ ICH9R RAID on the P5K Premium (me included). A future BIOS may remedy this issue, but for now you may want to be wary.

There are some noted problems w/ ICH9R RAID on the P5K Premium (me included). A future BIOS may remedy this issue, but for now you may want to be wary.

I've heard of this from GTengineer and now you, although I've had no problems. Granted I'm only running RAID1, so I dunno.

I've heard of this from GTengineer and now you, although I've had no problems. Granted I'm only running RAID1, so I dunno.

From what I've read only some brands of HDDs are affected. Seagates seem to be immune, but my WD's don't want to do RAID 0. They are working fine in AHCI mode at the moment...better than some of the guys on Asus forum.

Intersting. So far, I've had no prob's with either Seagate perp's in a matrix R0/R5 mix or my 3xraptor matrix R0.

Great board tho.

The Asus forums have led me to believe it isn't all WD drives...in fact the point out the Raptors work fine. So fritzman, you may have gotten lucky. I'm not too worried, though, b/c single-drive AHCI is working well enough for now. I plan on Matrixing some Barracudas anyway, so when (4 months?) I get them they (hopefully) won't give me any problems. By then newer drivers/BIOS's may have been released anyway.

I was previously considering RMAing this board and trying to get a DFI board, but I read some reviews, and they led me to believe I won't get a higher OC w/ my chip. The RAID on the DFI may very well give me the same problem I'm having w/ this board. It costs quite a bit more too. I'd rather save that $ towards some Barracudas. At this speed my biggest bottlenecks are the HDD(s), and my Internet connection.

Thanks

I have 3 of those new Seagate ES 32Mb cache 500Gb drives on backorder... they look NICE!

So it's a good bet that 4 perps in raid 5 or 10 won't give trouble with this board?

Also, is it likely to be worth it to spring for the ddr3 version? How much real-life gain do you get from ddr3 vs ddr2?

And finally, I want to run my OS and apps off a 4 drive raid 0 array. However, I would like the system to automatically mirror all that data on a non-raid 0 setup of some sort. Am I right in thinking that intel matrix raid 0/5 or 0/10 can do that? I don't want to have to do anything, I want on-the-fly mirroring. I certainly don't mind devoting the disk space to it, just need to know if it works this way.

You can't get on-the-fly mirroring unless you're running some kind of RAID 1 solution. If you wanted 4-drive RAID 0 mirrored, you'll need to run 8-drive RAID 10. Otherwise, the drive doing the mirroring can't keep up with the data array. I run a 3-drive RAID 0/RAID 5 Matrix RAID with automated backups every night.

So it's a good bet that 4 perps in raid 5 or 10 won't give trouble with this board?

Also, is it likely to be worth it to spring for the ddr3 version? How much real-life gain do you get from ddr3 vs ddr2?

And finally, I want to run my OS and apps off a 4 drive raid 0 array. However, I would like the system to automatically mirror all that data on a non-raid 0 setup of some sort. Am I right in thinking that intel matrix raid 0/5 or 0/10 can do that? I don't want to have to do anything, I want on-the-fly mirroring. I certainly don't mind devoting the disk space to it, just need to know if it works this way.

Perps should be fine according to what I've read. :shrug:

Forget DDR3 for now. No real world gain at current timings, and way too pricey!

Yes, you can have what you want w/ the Matrix RAID. Take the fastest slice from each HDD for the RAID 0 array, and put the rest in RAID 5 if you want the space. You can put an image of your RAID 0 on the RAID 5 (or 10) array and recover fairly easily if a drive fails. Read the Matrix RAID sticky for details.

Ok, it appears that I can't actually get real-time mirroring without an unreasonable (to me) expenditure on disks. I guess the next best thing would be the previous poster's idea of nightly backups. This could be done automatically I presume? Probably with any of a number of programs...

As you guys can see, I've never messed with raid before.

Back