• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two cards one Pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dirtyp

Registered
I have a pcie x850xt and I want to hook up a pci x1300 at the same time. I read I could do this and vista would use the same driver. I want the shader 3 and dont want to switch out my cards and have to use the less powerful x1300. So anyway I can get these both working?

I have a pcie x850xt and I want to hook up a pci x1300 at the same time. I read I could do this and vista would use the same driver. I want the shader 3 and dont want to switch out my cards and have to use the less powerful x1300. So anyway I can get these both working?

While what your talking about is possible with the AMD 790 chipset utilizing crossfireX, I don't think you could do it with your current setup.

The only way this could possibly work is if you hooked up a seperate monitor to each card and switched primary displays before starting up a game. Now this would require a lot of luck assuming that the driver and Vista can handle this with stability.

I'm not sure if this is what you were asking, but it will not be possible at all to get the two cards to work together in rendering 3D games.

In any case, I don't see the point. Any game which could take advantage of pixel shader 3 will be unplayable on a PCI X1300 at any decent quality setting. You're better off sticking with the X850.

If you really want PS3.0, I would buy something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102726
and sell your current cards on eBay.

Two different cards really only works when you have dual monitors. Each card would support a monitor.

i do have two monitors but the second stays blank.

I'm looking to pick something up on black friday but I want to play now!

Back