• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom PSU Cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cold.nut

i have all new parts for my 2012 build. it is now time to mount my hardware and run my cables as cleanly as possible. i need to order some sleeving from Nils over at MDPC-X, but first i want to make PSU cables to the exact length that my cable management route desires. what do you guys recommend i start with? :shrug:

What power supply do you have and what are you looking to do, exactly?

What power supply do you have and what are you looking to do, exactly?

i have a Corsair HX750W fully modular power supply. what i want to do is remove the terminals from the terminal housings on the connectors needed for my components. then i want to replace the stock cables with black 18 awg wire. crimp new terminals on and connect then into the terminal housings. i mainly want to do this so that i can achieve cable management and a sleek clean interior and back panel like the photo shown in the link below.

i am aiming for my wires like Nils and i want the panel behind the motherboard to look similar to that as well..

if you can just point me where to get the right gauge wire and the correct terminals for the 24 pin, 8 pin, at least 2x6 pin, and five SATA power. what tools are going to be needed to make my own custom cables for each of the connectors above? :shrug:

It shouldn't have an issue, unless you are trying to mash two wires in it -- in which case it wouldn't work. For low-draw devices, I use 20-22 AWG wire.

so optical drives and hard drives 20-22 awg everything else 18 awg should work golden yeah :shrug:

That is what I do. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

thanked :thup:! i will get those supplies ordered tonight. thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction thideras.

i will be sure and update as i get supplies.

there shouldn't be a need for the molex pin extractor if i don't have any components using molex. the ATX pin extractor should do my SATA pins also right? that's what i understood in the description.

also, the modular connectors that go into the PSU are blue. i am trying to stick to black and red, so would a can of black spray paint do the trick ok? :shrug:

so today i pulled out my case and planned my cable routes and roughly estimated the length of cables. this is what i came up with:

ATX 24 Pin Cables: 624 in.
8 Pin: 208 in.
2x6 Pin: 360 in.
SATA female power connectors: 750 in.

I/O Front Panel:

Power & Reset Cables: 2x37 in.
Activity & Power Cables: 2x38 in.
Front Panel USB: 38 in.
Front Panel E-SATA: 38 in.
Front Panel SATA: 27 in.
I/O Molex cables: 4x27 in.
Front Panel Audio: 37 in.
Fans: 5x12 in.
SATA Data Cables: 5x20 in.

i am sleeving everything. i want it to look as close to a million-dollar-pc as possible. total it came out to be like 63.5 meters. Nils is going to be busy for a while :).

what do you guys think? :shrug:

To extract SATA pins, you use a small flatblade screwdriver. For the paint, can you get one that will handle the abuse of being plugged in? I could see normal paint cracking very easily.

the modular end of the power supply are just 8 & 6 pin connectors anyways right..i could just buy some black 8 & 6 pin connectors for the modular end of the PSU.

looks to be the same. also, do 90° SATA pass through and end connectors need pins, or do they have them built in?

They are usually punch down, which means the pins are included and installed. You push the wire into metal that cuts through the insulation, then a cap goes over the top to prevent shorting.

They are usually punch down, which means the pins are included and installed. You push the wire into metal that cuts through the insulation, then a cap goes over the top to prevent shorting.

easy enough. thanks :thup:

Back