• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sata boot WTF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dfi-Boy

ok i have 3 400gb seagate sata hds i plug them all up fire up the rig im installing xppro. it runs through the first part fine but when it has to reboot it gets lost and starts to reinstall windows again and it will do it over and over. the hds where not in raid. so after 4 times of starting and stoping i put them in raid striping.... so i start to load windows every thing is going good then the first restart come up. she running untill she hits the boot screen and the i get disc read failure wft im so lost it tell me to hit C_A_D to restart so i do and the same thing happens

Check the Boot Order in your BIOS? I believe you actually boot off the HD after the first re-boot (even though the CD is still in the tray) - so if your HD's are not set properly in the Boot Order menu, you might get such behavior.

Just guessing... Probably wrong...

Are these SATA-II drives? Do they require "F6" Drivers for SATA-II (even in Non-RAID modes)? Just ignore me :)

:cool:

Last edited:
You sure you're not booting from the CD the second time around? I've done that, probably everyone has at one point. The first time it reboots, make sure you don't hit any key when it asks you to boot from CD.

Of course this is most likely not the problem, since you're posting on a OC board and are probably pretty familiar with computer system, but I gave it a crack anyway.

Trypt said:
since you're posting on a OC board and are probably pretty familiar with computer system, but I gave it a crack anyway.

Yeah - check out his Lian li Aquacomputer in his sig :drool:

Trypt said:
You sure you're not booting from the CD the second time around? I've done that, probably everyone has at one point. The first time it reboots, make sure you don't hit any key when it asks you to boot from CD.

Of course this is most likely not the problem, since you're posting on a OC board and are probably pretty familiar with computer system, but I gave it a crack anyway.

i realy dont know whats going on now with it.... my friend thinks its a bios setting. that has to be turned off. i looked around and didnt find anything. what about using a ide drive as the boot? i have tried this but then the sata drives cannot be seen in windows as drive F drive G and so on im comming to my end with dealing with this. since i have 3 400gb hds in the machine now and 3 on the desk waiting to go in.

here is the link to the hds all 6 are the same
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1197386&CatId=0

Dfi-Boy said:
i realy dont know whats going on now with it.... my friend thinks its a bios setting. that has to be turned off. i looked around and didnt find anything. what about using a ide drive as the boot? i have tried this but then the sata drives cannot be seen in windows as drive F drive G and so on im comming to my end with dealing with this. since i have 3 400gb hds in the machine now and 3 on the desk waiting to go in.

here is the link to the hds all 6 are the same
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1197386&CatId=0

Doesn't sound like a HD prob since it happens when only one is installed. I had a similar problem once. It turned out one of my ram sticks was burning out. This may sound stupid, but memtest your ram.

i got it up and running i pulled the ide hard drives out and disabled them in bios along with raid and it booted off the sata drives.

Back