• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have a problem with 1 player games, I can't finish them!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmsanders2

Guys, ever since I was a god in goldeneye (I know who wasn't :)), unreal tournament, and then finally ok in halo 2, I cannot seem to get back into 1 player games. At least I can't finish them...

Halo 2 I played multi forever, almost ruined my last years of college. I finally broke down and got this kick *** computer for the time and picked up all the half lives, bioshock, oblivion, etc etc games I never played. Although I agree these are fun, I just cannot finish them because from the first mario I've been able to see the limits and boundaries of each video game's programming. This makes one player games extremely dull to me now (fear was decent), and I can't finish any of these classics! All I play is tf2, and it wouldn't bother me except I'm ocd to all hell and can't stand not completing any task in my life!

Have you guys been seeing this trend in your video game experience? I love the variety and mix of variables playing against other humans in an environment with predefined limits (except the occasional hacker). I will admit, games like oblivion usually tickle me pink for a couple hundred hours, but not like the neverending unreal, tf2 or halo multi...

YEP I'm the same way..I have all these game but don't finish them for the exact reasons....been like that since my Compaq 133mhz.

I'll still by them anyways.....but end up half into them and shrugg and go "well I thats that game"...."next!" Most of the time I have to FORCE myself to beat them just to justify the money spent.....but yes I'm in the same boat dude..ur not alone.

Depends on the game really.

I had not problem finishing bioshock as I thought the storyline was pretty good.

Never finished Oblivion, even though I became the leader of theif,mage and fighter guilds.

Crysis was easy to finish as it had a good storyline.

So it all depends on the game to me.

There is another one on the sideboard, can't seem to finish for some reason!

This is just buggin me for months :mad:. I almost need to just give them away to get them out of my to finish list.

Really? How far did you get?

I get bored of most RPG/RTS really quickly, as you said due to getting your head round how the game works it can be boring. Most AIs are completely boring (I've found).

Black and White 2 is the latest one I've given up on at the last level. You basically just build constantly, use your creature to hold off enemy regiments and wait for the bad guys towns to collapse in on themselves as they have no people. Once the towns are just shells, you crusade in with creature and a couple of units of soliders....

I've had some similar issues in recent years, but it has mostly been a result of lack of time to play in day-to-day life. Finding time to pour hours into a game has been hard, and it's hard to really get into a game via little chunks of time spread out days/weeks apart.

Strangely enough, I still found it fairly easy to play a fair bit of multyplayer Halo 2 and such as well, but for different reasons. It's easy to sit down and play a few matches then stop and do something else.

Now that my wife is a full blown WoW addict, I actually have some more time to play since she doesn't bug me anymore if I'm playing something. Although, I was playing WoW too…not so much on other games.

Right now, I've been kinda stepping back away from WoW and going with books, movies, and other games… For other games, right now I'm looking most at Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2. I've had Oblivion pretty much since it was released, but when my good video card died in my old rig, I ended up not getting back into it. Now, I have a new rig…loaded Oblivion back up with a few mods and starting to slowly get back into it. I haven't progressed enough yet to where I've set the hook and really become absorbed into it… And am wondering if I'd be better off buying NWN2 and the expansion and jump straight to exploring the online roleplaying scene.

I've often toyed with the idea of...have I out grown gaming? or what? Multi fun always though...only if I play in moderation.

X3 reunion is really the only SP game that held me intrigue. Since the economy is ever changing and the AI is actually good. But it's really slow and the game is HUGE!!!

Oblivion with Fran's Overhaul mod and extras has given it new life for me also.

I don't really have this problem with RTS's though...but most other games I "figure out" really quickly and lose interest..no mater how fly graphix and such are.

Most of the newer games I get, I put a few hours in..then I'm off looking for mods.

guess I've ben gaming for sooo long I can catch on to the patterns/scripts really fast.

Only X3 reunion challanges me. This is only for SP games...multi player I have no problems with like th BF series, COD series etc.

wow dude, if you were in my shoes you would have checked into a hospital by now.

roughly 160NES games, 100 PS2 games, 200+ other games over verious systems and on computer only mabe a handful of them ever finished

I have X3 reunion but have never opened it. Never finished X2.

Both are excellent games. I had X3 for more than a year before I played it cause it intimidated me. Then I just sat down during spring break and got past the learning curve and now fully enjoy it.

Now Egosoft is working on a new release for the X series. :drool:

I don't have time to play games anymore either, but somehow I play 40+ hours per week of multiplayer and none of the ones I feel I need to finish. I guess I am acting out my happiness, but this eats away at me.

So seriously, does crysis get better? Hell I'm goin to play it now out of interest :).

I'm basically in the same boat as John G... I've got tons of games that I've never finished because I lose interest after I can't play day in and day out. It's just hard to hold my interest to it. RPGs are the worst for me, cuz I tend to forget what was going on and I feel like I spend my short sessions doing exactly what I was doing last time [grinding little quests to level up]. FPS's don't seem so bad though, I've been playing through Doom 3 in chunks lately and am finding it fairly satisfying. Hopefully Half Life 2 will be similar when I get to it. I know there's a bit more in-depth history with that story though... *shrugs*

Bleh...I played so many multiplayer games...from FPS's to MMO's to RTS's..

I would rather play a good sigle player game (X3, Witcher, Two Worlds, Stalker, Spellforce2,) than go online with random people.

Although I DO enjoy a game Ranbow6 games with a few friends...or even NWN2 with buddies. I will NOT ever play with random folks. The fun factor wears fast with childish people, and idiots online :)

Maybe I am just getting old...

i usually finish every game i start! unless its completely not worth it cos the game is too crappy!

my problem is starting games!!!

i currently have, faces of war, heroes of m & m 4 and 5, arma + expansion, supreme commander + expansion, silent hunter 3, kanes wrath, civ 4 + expansions, blitzkrieg anthology, just cause, maelstrom and morrowind that i havent even started yet, or just browsed! plus a whole load of games ive been lent for ages off my bro too!

there just arent enough hours in the day!

i blame oblivion!!! im still playing it after 8 months and over 200 hours and im still only halfway! then there's trackmania, bf2 online, online poker...etc

however while im here, does anyone fancy recommending which of these to start next?

I find that not finishing games bugs the heck out of me . So I consistently finish every one.(Except for the ones that really stink)

Pretty much the same in my RL as well.

Last edited:
Last single player game I played was fallout 2.
Since theres a good chance I won't play past the 2nd level in single player before jumping right into the multiplayer.
Just to name a few games were I havn't even touched the single player:
World in conflict
AoE III
CoD4 I played till level 3.
Gears of war, i got to that thing that runs at you then stopped
CoH

Back