• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a smartphone/BB.. not an iphone any help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gongo

Registered
I dont know what to get. I know i dont want an iphone because this will be a business application use and I would like to get some ideas on what to look at. Currently I'm looking at a BB curve, 8800 and treo 700w, 700wx, 755.

I really would like something on a 3G/EVDO network.
I need web browsing, mp3 playing, outlook sync, other email sync like hotmail, a phone, full qwerty and 3G.

any ideas on what I should look at? i'm totally lost. and is one platform (windows vs palm) better than another?

i am going and would vote for the moto q but it doesnt have the networking

but it does do e-mail and has a lot of cool things like gps navigation!

We just swapped out our Cingular 8525's at my work for Sprint Mogul's(6800). I really liked my 8525 running WM5, but have to say that the Mogul running WM6 seems to be a definite winner. On the data side, the Sprint EVDO network has me averaging around 650 kbit/sec in my area, which is huge improvement over what I was averaging with Cingular 3G(80 kbit/sec).

I love the bb 8100 (pearl) but it doesnt have 3g so I think that is out for you. I think the curve would be along the same lines though...

I would wait for the Samsung i760 or vx6800, both should be running EVDO Revision A (800Kbps - 1.4mbps) and WM6. Both should be out on Verizon in August. Or snag the BB 8830 now if you like BB platform etc.

I use the Treo 700w myself right now and it is an great device especially with the new update but I personally am waiting on the Samsung i760, that thing looks sweet.

I do work for Verizon so some may say I am biased... but I just don't think you can beat The Network ;)

I am in the same situation. I was going to spring for the iPhone but there are two major and one minor shortcoming it has that prevents me from getting one. The first is the iPhone is not 3G. Secondly, the iPhone does not support tethering (my main requirement). Thirdly, at that price point, it should include GPS but it doesn't. I am pretty much stuck with AT&T (formerly Cingular) because no other service provider has decent coverage in my area. I am trying out an 8525 (belongs to my company) and I like it except it seems like it is kind of big and bulky to use as a phone. I am away from home an awful lot so I am looking at dropping my residential dsl, hence tethering is what I am interested in. (I know, I know, I could get an express card for my laptop, but I am trying to limit the amount of stuff I have to bring around with me, which has gotten out of hand). The Treo 750 is something else I am looking at as well as some of the HP iPaq models.

Second the Samsung Blackjack... Its a very nice phone. I was a phone Junkie, I would get a new phone every few weeks, until I found my blackjack. I have had it since Dec. 24th? and havnt had the urge to get a new phone since. Only thing I disliked about it was the battery life. It DOES come with two batterys, or you could just buy an extended life battery for around 50 dollars. All in all, its a great phone.

I say 8525 too, that thing is a beast! I literally swapped out 4 Blackjacks before they gave me a free upgrade to the 8525. The battery life is a few days, and it gets a decent signal in fringe areas.

I absolutely love my 8525 and the Mogul is just as good. Supports 3G (I get upwards of 600kb/s) and tethering.

Moto Q is the worst phone on cdma, even sprint business support admits it has inherit flaws and they do not recommend it to their business customers.

The mogul is a great phone, and so is any sprint palm based device.

(I have a mogul and 700p for-sale in the classifieds but you don't have access to those yet)

BB Curve would be my choice for a PDA phone, I currently use a Razr but that's the phone I've had my eye on for some time.

I would say the 8525 just because I personally like it and the network is good in my area, but I haven't used some of the others.

I really like my Blackjack, but it sounds like you want something more sophisticated.

My dad has the 8525, he doesn't like it as much as his Treo650, problem is that it isn't easy to use with one hand.

I would go with the Treo imho.

Back