• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, kind of worrying that there's electrical noise running right through the case isn't it? It got worse when I installed my new FX-8120. It's ALMOST a case to move to USB output, though not quite. The Xonar DX still rocks in games.

Yeah, kind of worrying that there's electrical noise running right through the case isn't it? It got worse when I installed my new FX-8120. It's ALMOST a case to move to USB output, though not quite. The Xonar DX still rocks in games.

Keep in mind that you power supply grounds your case. So it's kinda normal to have that kind of noise on the case. The unfortunate part is that this noise is transmitted to your motherboard and there's not much you can do about that. A dedicated card will be better shielded against that and of course USB eliminates it completely.

Please keep in mind that usb isn't that great either. I've tried a few USB solutions (2 usb headsets, a set of usb speakers, the headphone ports of 2 different keyboards that are transfered through USB, all different brands, reproduced on 3 different mobos) and I always get the same issue. If you overload your USB host, you'll end up with dropped data "packets" and your USB sound device will probably adopt one of 3 solutions : play a silence, play white noise or duplicate the last received packet. This means crackles and pops, lost sound or something that doesn't sound right.

This happened mostly while gaming or watching a movie and the only other USB devices were my razer mouse and a logitech keyboard. Sometimes I had a bluetooth dongle for my headset (useful for skype) and it simply happened much more often.

Not too worried. So long as something is playing its not noticeable. I think its a testament to how good the Turtle Beach headset is that these sounds come through so loud and clear when nothing is playing.... Both an up and downside all at the same time

Just bought one off eBay for $50 shipped. Will let everyone know how it sounds once it arrives.

Its electrical noise running through the case and main board causing this problem. The better the headphones the clearer you can hear this noise. The only way to get rid of it is digital to an external amp. My Turtle Beach Ear Force P11 headset already sounds amazing, and you really can't blame it for the signal being fed into it.

I see the only true fix to this issue as using optical out, at which point I'll remove my Xonar DX and use the onboard optical out instead.

Last edited:
Finally picked it up today.. gonna try the game and chat sounds.. see if it really works :)

Don't know how to sort out the Voice volume and the game volume.. seems to only be controlled by the voice one.

Even though it's technically not a "headset", the Thermaltake Isurus are getting rave reviews on Head-Fi. I grabbed a pair myself, didn't know a gaming marketed product could sound this good.

Easily matches the quality of my Carcharias, which are much more expensive.

Don't know how to sort out the Voice volume and the game volume.. seems to only be controlled by the voice one.

You have to set up your soundcard as your default output device, and in your chat program (Teamspeak, Mumble, Ventrillo whatever) you select Turtle Beach sound which utilizes its USB audio. ;)

They already are my default output and input.. so something's wrong here.

They already are my default output and input.. so something's wrong here.

No, you don't want the Turtle Beach to be your default output. You want your onboard sound to be your default output.

You set you chat software to use the output and input to the Turtle Beach headset, whereas you're supplosed to have the Windows default set the the onboard audio, which is most likely a Realtec.

This will allow you to control volumes for chat and game audio independently. :thup:

There seems to be a problem though. I use speakers and when i open realtek and test the speakers.. only 2 seems to "work". But when i play music it's fine. I'm using Logitech z506 and all the cables connect to the woofer.

Also I dont know which one to use.

Cant seem to get music working by using any of the other 2 digital outputs.

You need to configure the speakers in Windows as it has no way to tell which are surround speakers. Windows defaults to stereo (2 speakers). A quick Google will find the solution to this

It's so strange.. I have the same config as my brother's computer and it works perfectly on his.

The output, input, etc. so strange

But when you click on configure/properties etc, what does it say. Is it saying stereo (2.0) or surround (5.1). You will need to change that manually. Likewise, whenever oyu want to use your headset it should change to reflect that you're using the front panel.

Back