• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

swapping out video cards in oc'd system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moroccodriver

I am about to buy a custom-built i7 930 X58 mobo system from CyberPowerPC or Digital Storm. The company will overclock the CPU by "20%" before shipping the system to me. The video card will not be overclocked.
They don't offer the video card I need (GeForce GTX 285). Should I be able to swap out their video card with a GTX 285 without messing up the overclocking of the CPU AND without needing to make any changes in the overclock setup or any special setup regarding the GTX 285? Neither the original video card nor the new GTX 285 will be overclocked.
Thanks for your help.

Why not ATI? Much better value for money.

Other than that you won't have any problem at all.
The GPU isn't affected by a CPU overclock and vice versa.

Thanks.
The main purpose of the system is to use Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, which only supports a handful of CUDA video cards for special GPU acceleration (which makes a huge difference). ATI doesn't use CUDA. The GTX 285 is the cheapest supported card but will work wonders.
So no matter what video card the system comes with and no matter how they OC the CPU, I can swap out video cards without needing to change anything? Same deal for potentially adding a sound card later?

What is the video card that is going to come with the computer?
If it's nvidia, it wouldn't be to difficult. It should recognize the card and reset the drivers.
If it's an ATI, then the process is a little more detailed. You'll have to un-install the drivers/software, then imo run a drivercleaner/drivesweeper to eliminate the rest of the ati stuff.

I thought CUDA was supported by the 8800 series also? What PSU is included in the system? The only thing that might make the pc unstable is if it is not sufficient for graphics card upgrade. You might need Driver cleaner to get rid of old drivers if it came with a ATI card also.

IIRC Cyberpower uses alot of Raidmax and Apevia cases, You really want to be careful and make sure the power supplies are not Raidmax or Apevia, Simply put, They are not good and I would not trust them to run any system let alone a high end system.

If you want Cuda go for a 250 or a 260 and invest in a much nicer PSU like Scottin said.

Also I thought this was an overclocked bundle not a whole computer sorry. Should be as easy as un-installing the old drives and installing the Nvidia ones if it comes with an ATI card or just installing new drivers if an Nvidia card.

Back