• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound? What Sound?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

First off, I wanted to thank everyone with putting up with my newbie questions while I built my first PC. Everything went smooth and it's fully operational. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

But there is only one problem that I can't seem to fix. I can't get sound to play through my soundcard (Soundblaster PCI128). I can only get the sound to play out of the sound ports that are built into the motherboard?

Why is this? I went to "Device Manager" in the control panel, and It shows my "Sound Blaster PCI 128" as the sound controller? But I can't get anything to come out when I plug in the speakers.

What should I do so that I can plug my speaker cords into my sound card instead to get sound?

Congrats on the new build!!! :D

In the Sound Control panel, there should be an option for sound output. You can choose between output devices.

You can also disable onboard sound in the bios if you don't use it.

-Bobby

When I go to the control panel and click on the Sounds Icon, I don't have the option to choose the sound output device. It just allows me to pick the dinky sounds for windows to start, shutdown, etc.

Is there anywhere else I can find this option?

First, did you disable the onboard sound in your bios? I beleive that if you don't, it will over ride your sound card. (could be wrong)

Next, try double clicking the speaker in your task bar (by the clock), that should bring up your sound slide bars. click on the Options -> Properties and you will get something like mixer device. Select your soundblaster PCI 128 for PLAYBACK and RECORDING.

See if that helps you out..

Good luck.

In Control Panels >Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio tab

You should be able to choose which device to play sounds from and to record. They're drop down menus and should have both onboard and card if you have both drivers installed correctly.

-Bobby

Back