• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Flash drive: "Windows was unable to complete the format."

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
4 GB USB Flash drive - can't be formatted using Computer Management or DOS CMD line. Can't delete partition.

Any ideas on how to format it?

There is no slot and DOS > diskpart > list disk
only lists hard drives not flash drives.

I have some music files on this flash drive and they work but can't be deleted and I can't add anything to the drive. It's just a regular Microcenter USB stick, I don't need the data on it. I don;t know why I can't nuke it or do anything with it except use what's already on there...

Is there low level format for USB sticks :)

Good idea:

When I tried to use either its NTFS or FAT32 option, I get this error even though the USB stick is a regular one without any write-protect switches.

Attachments

• writeprotected.jpg
    writeprotected.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 14,308
Write-protect error even with updated version :( Hm, you'd think there would be a specialized up to isolate any bad parts of the flash drive since the existing files on it are readable.

I have a Micro Center USB stick, no data protection. I have used it on Car Mp3 modulator, after that it stopped working. Windows 7 or 8 won't see it as a drive. What can I do to format it again? Any suggestions are welcome :). Thanks

Yes! Take it back to Micro Center, tell them exactly what is going on and they will take care of you for free. At least my Micro Center (Kansas) did in exact same situation as yours. Great store!

Back