• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCB-120™ "Radbox" radiator/fan housing => Does it GREATLY degrade performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ongmomo

Registered
MCB-120™ "Radbox" radiator/fan housing => Does it GREATLY degrade performance?

I have a wavemaster( coolermaster) and the inside is kidna squished...i can't use the front bay either ....im thinking of this as a solution...but does it greatly degade pump power? If so...i wouldj ust get a stacker ^^;;

ongmomo said:
I have a wavemaster( coolermaster) and the inside is kidna squished...i can't use the front bay either ....im thinking of this as a solution...but does it greatly degade pump power? If so...i wouldj ust get a stacker ^^;;
Not sure why it would (you mean because of the longer hose length?). Actually, outside is the best place for a raddy cause it gets cooler air out there. My rad is already outside, but I have been meaning to get one of these radboxes to mount it.

It should overall make preformance better or the same, as it is removing a 'heater' from the system, so its not spilling heat into your box, heating up other parts.

however, just as uclajd hinted...doesn't it have longer pipe lengths, thus causing the pump to work harder + less pressure?

The effect on the rad-box on a system depends mostly on the tubing used in the system itself. If you are going with a performance setup with 1/2" inner dimension tubing/fittings throughout the system changing to a 3/8" inner dimension tubing (required for the rad box) will be a significant reduction in total flow. If you have no angles or sharp turns the actual length of additional tubing will not effect the overall system that much- adding an additional 6" to a 6' total tubing length system will not be that big of a drop especially if you have a pump with a decent 'head'. If you are basing your system on 1/2" OD-3/8" ID tubing then the rad-box will not have that much of an effect on your system.

Also keep in mind that most 1/2" ID tubing systems actually use fittings that have a 3/8" inner dimension anyway so many times the fittings are the true restrictions on the system. Some people use a 'softer' tubing and are able (via heating in hot water) to stretch 1/2" inner dimension tubing over 5.8" outer dimesion fittings and by doing so open up the fititng/tubing connections where most systems see their greatest restriction.

If you resort to math (perish the thought :) then the inner dimension areas of each tubing cross-section are as follows:

A = (pi)r^2
3/8" ID tubing cross-section area = (pi)(0.1875^2) = 0.110 inches squared
1/2" ID tubing cross-seciton area = (pi)(0.25^2) = 0.196 inches squared

Using a fitting that will restrict the ID to 3/8" is right about a 44% reduction in the cross-section of the flow path. Its definitely significant.

If you are using 1/2" OD-3/8" ID fittings then the rad-box should have very little effect on your system considering that its restriction probably matches the restrictions forced by all other fittings in your system.

***CAUTION***
I am a newb to WCing myself so this is only a guess but I think its pretty accurate.

Last edited:
Back