• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large dual-purpose acrylic case plans... Thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

I'm about 45% done with this design. I'm modeling each and every part in 3D to spec. Once the design is completed, I'll convert all of the parts to DXF files and have them machined on a CNC mill.

The outside dimensions are 24" x 24" x 24". All of the side panels will be 1/2" clear acrylic. The top, bottom, front and back panels will be welded together and the two side panels will be removable. The case will be divided roughly in half by a 3/4" clear acrylic panel.

The left side of the case (looking from the front) contains all of the computer components. I'm still working on the drive bays. This is proving to be the biggest challenge. I'm still not sure how this is going to work yet, but I've got some ideas. The air in this side will be cooled by the four 120mm fans. The two fans on the front pull air in and the fan at the top and on the motherboard tray push the hot air out. This case is designed from the start to use two PSU's. There is approx. a 1" gap around the PSU's for better air flow.

The right side will contain a chilled liquid cooling system. Two copper plates with four holes each will have fittings brazed to them and act as manifolds. One plate will be a chilled water inlet and one plate will be the outlet. With four seperate liquild lines, I'll be able to cool up to four different components without having to connect the components together. This should allow for better cooling since one component is not heating the coolant of the next. These plates will be gasketed to provide a 100% seal from the component side.

ComputerCaseprofile.jpg
ComputerCaseSide.jpg
ComputerCasefront.jpg

Considering the complexity and expense, this project will probably not be completed until the first part of '07.

Any comments or thoughts? This is my first case design, so I am welcome to suggestions.

MarkS said:
I'm about 45% done with this design. I'm modeling each and every part in 3D to spec. Once the design is completed, I'll convert all of the parts to DXF files and have them machined on a CNC mill.

The outside dimensions are 24" x 24" x 24". All of the side panels will be 1/2" clear acrylic. The top, bottom, front and back panels will be welded together and the two side panels will be removable. The case will be divided roughly in half by a 3/4" clear acrylic panel.

The left side of the case (looking from the front) contains all of the computer components. I'm still working on the drive bays. This is proving to be the biggest challenge. I'm still not sure how this is going to work yet, but I've got some ideas. The air in this side will be cooled by the four 120mm fans. The two fans on the front pull air in and the fan at the top and on the motherboard tray push the hot air out. This case is designed from the start to use two PSU's. There is approx. a 1" gap around the PSU's for better air flow.

The right side will contain a chilled liquid cooling system. Two copper plates with four holes each will have fittings brazed to them and act as manifolds. One plate will be a chilled water inlet and one plate will be the outlet. With four seperate liquild lines, I'll be able to cool up to four different components without having to connect the components together. This should allow for better cooling since one component is not heating the coolant of the next. These plates will be gasketed to provide a 100% seal from the component side.

Considering the complexity and expense, this project will probably not be completed until the first part of '07.

Any comments or thoughts? This is my first case design, so I am welcome to suggestions.

Yes. Are those all 120mm fans? If not, go with 120mm fans instead of 80mm or 92mm. You won't be sorry.

Edit: Ok, I was too lazy to read at first. They're all 120mm ignore me. :) It looks good i suppose!

nice, i made one once, but it was really one-cheeked... i didnt even have the right tools, so i used pliers, (no joke) to cut the supports... witch were those 8 foot long 90 degree drywall things.

Back