• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oxalic32

Can i get an explination of one in general? I also have some questions.

How safe is it to use?

Can it damage a power supply?

Do you use a heatsink in conjunction with a peltier?

Does it beat water-cooling?

Does it beat air-based cooling?

How does it compare to a phase-change cooling setup?

Are they popular?

Should i buy one?

Read over it anyhow. It seems to tell more about how it works rather than what im asking.

Oxalic32 said:
Can i get an explination of one in general? I also have some questions.

How safe is it to use?

Can it damage a power supply?

Do you use a heatsink in conjunction with a peltier?

Does it beat water-cooling?

Does it beat air-based cooling?

How does it compare to a phase-change cooling setup?

Are they popular?

Should i buy one?

OK, from what I know about Pelts...

1.) Yes, it's safe. However, people have been reporting that the leads are not soldered on very well, so it's a safe bet for you to fix that from the start.
2.) A heatsink of some sort is necessary. The hot side gets very hot and you'll need to remove that heat.
3.) Yes, by far.
4.) Pretty much anything beats air cooling, so, yes.
5.) I'm still learning this, but everything I've read says that phase change systems are better. I know that they pull down lower temps than Pelts, but use more power. I think the thing is that P.C. systems are more energy effecient than Pelts.
6.) Well known and well used in many industries. Popular? I think they fill a nitch.
7.) Do a search on this forum and do a Google search. Make up your own mind on this one.

MarkS said:
5.) I'm still learning this, but everything I've read says that phase change systems are better. I know that they pull down lower temps than Pelts, but use more power. I think the thing is that P.C. systems are more energy effecient than Pelts.

wrong, most systems (not talking about 1hp ~745watt rotary monsters) use less power then pelts and alow for much lower temperatures. The truth of the matter is pelts are horribly inefficient gimmicks and power hogs. The only and only advantage they have is size, but at their preformance I dont see that as being very relevant.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
wrong, most systems (not talking about 1hp ~745watt rotary monsters) use less power then pelts and alow for much lower temperatures. The truth of the matter is pelts are horribly inefficient gimmicks and power hogs. The only and only advantage they have is size, but at their preformance I dont see that as being very relevant.

Um... Reread what I wrote. I believe that is what I said.:eh?:

MarkS said:
5.) I'm still learning this, but everything I've read says that phase change systems are better. I know that they pull down lower temps than Pelts that use more power. I think the thing is that P.C. systems are more energy effecient than Pelts.

There fixed ;)

The second sentance was a little confusing Mark.
You were on the right track though :thup:

Tec's are quieter and cost less then phase if you have the water setup allready.

some companies offer tec/waterblock solutions allready and with a little bit of know something you could build a relatively effective tec setup.

phase is better though.

MarkS said:
Um... Reread what I wrote. I believe that is what I said.:eh?:

no its not what you originaly said.

you said: "I know that they pull down lower temps than Pelts, but use more power"

And the fact is they net you lower temperatures and use the same or less power.

exhausted mule said:
Tec's are quieter and cost less then phase if you have the water setup allready.

some companies offer tec/waterblock solutions allready and with a little bit of know something you could build a relatively effective tec setup.

phase is better though.

quieter? Not by an amount I would consider significant. I cant hear the compressors that I own, my hard drives make more noise then my compressor.

cost less? Well if you are building a nice quality system then sure but it can be done for virtually the same price if you ebay all your parts. But if you already have a water loop then its definetly cheaper, but hey you get what you pay for ;)

Last edited:
why i said phase is better.

and tec's are essentiently electrical in nature not mechanical.

can you here your cpu?

and not everyone wants to ebay there stuff second hand.

edit: ok, just for reference. phase isn't that loud?

Tec's are a decent way to run a proc at subambient temps but like has already been said, horribly inefficient. For a tec that is powerful enough to cool a modern proc, you will have to have a separate psu to power just the pelt or spend close to $500 for a 1KW PCP&Cooling psu. Plus, the heatload they dump into your water loop is tremendous and you will need a very big radiator to be able to handle the heatload. I did the tec thing back around 3-4 years ago with a 120 watt element on a P3 1.26S system and I was able to get it to 1.7 GHz with loaded temps around -5 C. It was great right up to the point that one of the power leads on the element smoked itself. Luckily I saw it when the lead smoked and saved the system.

The biggest peltier element I know of suitable for computer usage is a 226 watt element. That would be adequate for an A64 system but I don't know how effective it would be on a Pressler setup. It would also be enough to supercool a modern high end gpu too.

So you need watercooling to heat the hotside of a pelt? Youll also need an assload of power to run the peltier?

you need something that will cool the hotside of the pelt. water is considered best because it removes more heat then air and is more efficient in the application then phase.

in tec. the colder the hot side the colder the cold side. if you read about the technology you'll understand why.

as for power, due to the technology the design is horiibly ineficient for removing large amounts of heat (uses more watts to remove the amount of watts its trying to remove.)

so yeah, they do use alot of power.

exhausted mule said:
you need something that will cool the hotside of the pelt. water is considered best because it removes more heat then air and is more efficient in the application then phase.

in tec. the colder the hot side the colder the cold side. if you read about the technology you'll understand why.

as for power, due to the technology the design is horiibly ineficient for removing large amounts of heat (uses more watts to remove the amount of watts its trying to remove.)

so yeah, they do use alot of power.

I thought they worked much differently i was going to use this as an amazing way to avoid watercooling. But to cool it you need water cooling. After putting in a watercooling system and a peltier i would feel like i should have shelled it all out for phase-change.

muddocktor said:
Tec's are a decent way to run a proc at subambient temps but like has already been said, horribly inefficient. For a tec that is powerful enough to cool a modern proc, you will have to have a separate psu to power just the pelt or spend close to $500 for a 1KW PCP&Cooling psu. Plus, the heatload they dump into your water loop is tremendous and you will need a very big radiator to be able to handle the heatload. I did the tec thing back around 3-4 years ago with a 120 watt element on a P3 1.26S system and I was able to get it to 1.7 GHz with loaded temps around -5 C. It was great right up to the point that one of the power leads on the element smoked itself. Luckily I saw it when the lead smoked and saved the system.

The biggest peltier element I know of suitable for computer usage is a 226 watt element. That would be adequate for an A64 system but I don't know how effective it would be on a Pressler setup. It would also be enough to supercool a modern high end gpu too.

golden words :)

exhausted mule said:
why i said phase is better.

and tec's are essentiently electrical in nature not mechanical.

can you here your cpu?

and not everyone wants to ebay there stuff second hand.

edit: ok, just for reference. phase isn't that loud?

I wasnt debating weather you said phase was better or not, i was debating the fact that you said it uses more power :)

Can I hear my cpu? No, but I cant hear my compressor either.

You can buy items new on ebay, thats what I ussualy do. Nothing wrong with a used compressor or parts either, its not like when yo are buying a new mp3 player and a scratch and wear on the case makes it look like crap and kills your mojo, more like buying a bolt, it will be locked away where you wont see it and as long as it preforms like it should thats all that matters.

Not sure of the edit was a question or a statment, but if it is a question then yes, it can be made silent, it depends on components and your knowledge of how things work.

exhausted mule said:
i know how it all works its just that i can hear my fridge from across the appartment.

I wouldnt dought it, they dont really try to make refrigerators silent, not in their goal list.

Just for kicks, I cant hear my 1/5hp and 1/4hp compressors really but I can hear what is probbably a 1/10hp compressor in my mini fridge from another room with the doors closed lol

Back