• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project DACP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
Project Dual Air Cooled Pelts
What im using
1/2 Aluminum cold plate(if someone has some copper to donate toward this its is more than accepted)
Dual 80watt Pelts - thanks to Klownin, also may need another
Dual Svc Goldengates striped off shroud, making new one- Thankyou Joker F15
High output 80mm or 92mm fan - Need 1 50-80cfm- still havent gotten, i may try a 120
Insulation
<edit> also need AS3 or preferably AS2 - Thankyou Iron Hawk!

if anyone would be willing to donate any of these things i need it would be very much apreciated, because im on a budget of about 10 dollars max</edit>

what i have to do is lap the cold plate a ton more, its really convex, then drill the 4 holes and tap them and drill 4 holes in each heatsink to clamp the pelts between.
make shrouds for the heatsinks after I get it all stuck together, so a 80mm fan sucks out of both heatsinks, vertically

then after i get that made, i have to make a hold down mecanism that wont be too difficult

i would have pics rite now, BUT my batteries in the camera are dead:(

what do you all think? need some experts like silver over here

i do plan on watercooling them later on.

Last edited:
as3 is designed with a slightly lower conductivity but smaller particles so it fits into the gaps easier. as2 has larger particles and less lube but higher conductivity cus of its better silver content. as2 is better for petling than as3 cus it will stay in place as3 will move around.

Intersting info on AS2 and 3. So AS2 is better becuase it won't move around? I am afraid i don't understand that. But i do understand the part of it be a better conductor. :)

Ct. Strangelove said:
Intersting info on AS2 and 3. So AS2 is better becuase it won't move around? I am afraid i don't understand that. But i do understand the part of it be a better conductor. :)

AS2 is thicker than AS3. AS2 was developed into AS3 because the smaller particles worked better as a TIM between the Die and the Heatdisperser (wb or hs or coldplate). However the larger particles in the AS2 work better for the TEC application.

sweet man! klownin YGPM
Iron Hawk, i IMed you on msn

ill have pics when i restart

ok heres the pics guys! note the peltier there is an unknown wattage, so i am not using that, and the sunnon is a low cfm 80mm fan that im also not using, its just for size comparison and all

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Last edited:
i couldnt add this to that last one because of all the stuff...not spamming

i should also mention its a vertical cold plate, and give Silver the credit he deserves:D he made the first DWCP dual watercooled peltiers rig

i have no clue on what its rated, ill hook it up and see what it feels like...

-edit-
im guessing its around 35cfm, it has some good power tho, like able to keep pressure if its blocked....

Just want to keep track of this project of masked geek. Go for it. It will work. I just know it but it may take some thinking and that is right up your alley.;)

Get Donny Paycheck in here as he is one of the few that I know who ran an xp on an air cooled 80w pelt. This is not the same but his input on that single will prove useful.

Go thin on the cold plate but I would not V it on the first as you made need the storage of the full block.

Last edited:
go thin? you mean go 1/2 inch? im running a palimino, that would be kinda hard to get it perfectly centered wouldnt it?
as for the V i dont have tools for that yet, but some day i will and ill try something like that

i do have most of this project planned out, i gotta talk to the other person who has the other peltier for me, get a fan, and get another svc goldengate... i dont quite have that much money, ill see what i can do, im planning on using like a delta 68 or something on it, not a tornado because i dont think i could handle the noize, maby if i can get a tornado with a rheo.....

one question for you on the insulation, ill have the block insulated, the inside of the socket insulated, die electric greese in the pinholes, and with this setup, do i really need a gasket around the socket?

well i honestly dont see were condensation would form besides on the bottom side of the chip, the and the socket, because the cold plate does not extend past the chip.... i may have to mount this with the lugs also... ill look into making a clip, i would also prefer to mount it like that

heres some pics, i have to mount it this way so i can get the heatsinks level, i also have to cut away some of it for the ziff lever thingy,

7.jpg

Got a caliber? If so measure length and width on the core. Try to mount the coldplate along the length of the core. I've got 9.5mm or exactly 3/8" on the core. A 3/8 inch plate will make the tolerance close. If you have an 1/2 inch plate then go with it. This is after all a sort of prototype. With the cold plate being 2" in length then some insulation under it at the outer edges will be required. Cut a piece of mouse pad (without the cloth) to fit in the socket then coat all within the socket with GE silicone (hardware store) and place the piece of mouse pad into the socket, let it dry. On the back of the mobo all I did was to lay down some silicone aroung the socket area. Make sure you do the silicon work first and then after it is dry go with the dielectric grease in the socket pin holes. Got to kind of work it in. Used most of a small tube of dielectric grease the first time. Now I just touch it up when I take the cpu out. On the top of the processor I coated all electrical contacts with one coat of clear (non-metalic containing) nail polish. The includes the modified bridge but take care as the carrier in the nail polish with take the bridge off. One light quick swipe. Insulation around all of the coldplate is necessary and I will tell you how on the cheap next go. Take Care.

alrite, i have a palimino so i think im gonna go for a 1/2 cold plate on your request, you found better temps with thinner cold plate?
i know most of the stuff on insulating, just makin sure i dont have to do a few things like a gasket around the socket, i got the die electric grease and the silicone, rtv silicone, how bout under the socket? or isnt that a problem? as for mounting, got any ideas? i think im gonna use the lugs unless i can figure out how to make a 4 hole holddown, ill have to see the sizes of everything when its put together,
i plan on using a 120mm 100cfm fan, i got most of my insulation cut from a mouse pad, and my previus little phaze change project

would just regular tape work to cover the bridges?

thnx

-edit- no i dont have a caliper, im gona order one when i order my mill

Last edited:
crap, im down a pelt, the other dude found out they are only 60watt peltiers...

Back