• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question about moving a client

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

~(o)-(0)~

Hey guys, hope you're all doing fine.

So in trying to get some more points up for the team, I started up an ubuntu system running an Athlon XP 2400 to run a single core instance of F@H kinda hoping for a double gromacs or other bonus work unit...well I didn't get one :p Instead, I got a 1487, its a huge work unit worth 1741pts. So I said oh well, big deal, I'll let it run.

I let it run roughly 15 hours from last night to today, and it had only 3% completed, getting about 98ppd, which is ridiculous, and I can't really justify keeping a system running for so few points.

I figured I could get much better PPD on my e2180 @ 2.66, so I copied the whole F@H folder over to my SMP client which also runs Ubuntu, and then stopped my SMP client. Then I launched it and everything seemed to check out ok, it started processing, but its not producing any more points, at leas F@Hmon says it isn't. I still get 98PPD.

Anybody know if there's any way to speed it up, or if its totally impossible to get it to run at a reasonable speed once it's started?

Thanks guys, fold on

Nick

On the XP2400, that's about right. I'm running FAH on an XP2500 and get an average of about 112 ppd on the p1487 units.

I'm currently an AMD only guy, so I don't really know what to expect on the E2180. A quick check of it says it's a dual-core with 1M cache. And since you're only using a single core of it, I'd expect it to only be a little bit faster than the XP2400 is.

actually it should be quite a bit faster, considering the 1m cache vs the 256kb of the 2400, and the 2.66ghz vs the, god knows, maybe 1.7 of the 2400...that and the fact that the C2Ds perform better clock/clock than an A-XP any day...

That wasn't the question I know the 2400 is about right in PPD, I'm asking why it hasn't sped up, and if its even going to speed up at all since I switched it over. For all I know, its just not possible and the thing is running around like a chicken with its head chopped off and it won't finish the WU.

But thanks for the input anyways Outback_Jon

Nick

Change FahMon monitoring to help it show you the right info:

Cick on "Fahmon" >> then "preferences", >> "monitoring". Go to near the bottom of that page, and change it's monitoring: "Calculate ppd based on" >> "last 3 frames".

Click on OK button.

Now FahMon will ignore your previous benchmarks it has stored for that WU, and just go by the last 3 frames. After that, you should have a clearer view of what your folding production really is on that rig.

k, I'll give it a try tomorrow, I have an SMP WU running on the same rig, and it has a deadline, so thats whats running on there for the next 12-16 hours.

But there's nothing wrong with moving an uncompleted workunit from one comp to another?

Nick

Back