• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program to tell you which application is currently downloading/uploading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Many offer info IF your system is downloading/uploading but not which app is doing it at any given moment.

You don't mention OS so I'll assume a modern Windows?

Just run perfmon.

Attachments

• perfmon.jpg
    perfmon.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 4,878
Something that works with Windows XP.

Open a command prompt and issue the command "netstat -ab".

This will yield all process names with active connections and what port they are running on. It will not tell you what the program name is (that will require locating the executable or googling).

Yeah.

I also tried this:
netlimiter monitor is what I've always used. The monitor is free.

http://www.netlimiter.com/

The freeware part is perfect, it displays which prog is is sending/receiving data & how much of it, look at this:

(thanks!)

Attachments

• NetLimiter.jpg
    NetLimiter.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 4,769
Yuck. I think there's a version with XP too, I forgot the name though. Sysmon maybe?

I believe sysmon is what perfmon grew to be, I also think they backported perfmon to XP.

EDIT:

Yeah.

I also tried this:

The freeware part is perfect, it displays which prog is is sending/receiving data & how much of it, look at this:

(thanks!)

Wow. Liking that. Look how few there are. Man I miss XP sometimes, just for the networking :) (LOL 4-5 years ago, those words would never have come out of my mouth)

That was actually a Win7 screen shot. :)

To install it, I had to right click > Properties > Compatibility TAB > CHECK: Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 3) > OK

I just wanted a quick graphic that tells me nothing is uploading/downloading at that moment that shouldn't be on my Win7/XP/Vista triple boot.

Interesting. Considering the massive amount of network activity Vista/Mojave generates I just assumed it was an XP screenie lol

I just tried the TCPView app by Microsoft, it doesn't have a nice simple graphical interface like Netlimiter Monitor which is just perfect:

Active App with it's own icon, next to which there's incoming speed and outgoing speed box (which is blank if there's no activity.)

TCPMon is the incorrect tool for the job anyway...it doesn't track bandwidth, but all your connections on each and every port.
It's a debugging/management tool, like everything else from sysinternals.

Yup. http://www.netlimiter.com/ freeware is just perfect, I thank the poster who suggested it, I'm kind of surprised there aren't dozens of apps like that. You just fire it up and see which up is downloading/uploading.

The thing that I don't understand is why doesn't firewall software have a window like that? They all light up green or red, depending if there's dl/ul but they don't have a window to tell you what's downloading/uploading & at which speed.

This feature didn't occur to any software firewall developers? Strange to say the least.

Back