• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Learn me core i 5's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigben6

helping my friend build a system mostly for internet but he recently got a go pro hero 2 and has been doing some video editing. I recomended a core i5-2600k but then i read some odd things online im hoping you guys can help me clear up.

Apparently the integrated graphics will only run on a h67 chipset BUT and this seems weird to me, the h67 chipset does NOT allow overclocking... true or false, he has NO intention of gaming, ever...

If all he's doing is web browsing he won't need to overclock. Overclocking will benefit video editing, though.

H67 = Integrated video, no overclocking
P67 = No integrated video, allows overclocking
Z68 = Both integrated video and overclocking
Z77 = Both integrated video and overclocking

Hope that helps.

P.s. There's no such thing as an I5-2600K, the 2600K is an I7.

sorry 2500k, so what the difference between Z68 and Z77 and is there a benefit to one over the other?

sorry 2500k, so what the difference between Z68 and Z77 and is there a benefit to one over the other?

Z77 is the new chipset for Ivy bridge processors. It natively supports USB 3.0 and PCIe 3.0.

With the system you are building you have a bit of a conflict. Almost anything will run simple web browsing but if he is getting into video editing and rendering, those are big tasks.

For a video editing system, I would suggest an I7 2600K and a decent GPU(sony vegas now supports GPU rendering to reduce times).

The two tasks are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I would still keep a 2600k in the picture. You mentioned video editing.. I would check to see if the program can use many cores on a CPU and also a videocard to help out...

Z-77 is Intel's new chipset which has just become available over the past few days. It's the official chipset for Ivy Bridge, Intel's 3rd generation of I series CPUs which will replace 2500K, 2600K, etc.. All Z-77 board support 3rd generation PCI-E for new video cards such as AMD's 7970 or nVidia's 680. It also features native Intel USB 3.0 support, where as other chipsets rely on 3rd party chips added to boards to support USB 3.0.

Z-68 is a bit older, but also supports Ivy Bridge CPUs with a BIOS update available from motherboard manufactures. Some boards also support PCI-E 3. Such board will be labeled "Gen 3".

If you're planning on buying a new board, get a Z-77. If not, Z-68 or P67 are more than good enough. Whichever board you buy, you'll need an Ivy bridge CPU to take advantage of PCI-E 3.0.

So this is good, thanks guys, your saying the GPU will help in rendering his videos? I thought that was all CPU... right now his 7yo dual core Pentium something will struggle through video but he has yet to render it, i know for a 4:28 second rendering on my rig (see sig) it takes a few minutes easily if it does not stall or fail.... HOW MUCH GPU do you think he need to really help him render? 550ti? 440? 9800gt?

What i said was to find out if the application does that......not all do use the GPU to assist.

Also, Z68 has that virtu technology that aides in this as well.

He also does mild CAD stuff like Google Sketchup... im guessing some form of dedicated GPU would be wanted there as well but am unsure how to make a recomendation

What benchmarks or standard can i use to define what kind of GPU it takes to run a CAD program or a google sktchup type program...

Last edited:
I can't comment on the rendering, but I use sketchup every day to knock out custom stainless pieces that I fabricate. The iGPU on the 2600K is more than enough to run it. Sounds to me like your friend could get away without a dedicated GPU for all of his needs.

Z68 boards can be had for cheap as they will by trying to clear it out to make room for z77. Don't worry to much about pci-e 3.0, at this point nothing that is made will saturate pci-e 2.0. By the time it does, we'll probably be at pci-e 4.0 or higher and you'll need an update anyways.

From my experience the primary consideration with video rendering and "minor" cad as you put it is the CPU on GPU. The CPU you got is pretty darn good. As for GPU any little but of help is helpful. Something along the line of an AMD 6870 or Nvidia's 560 or higher in either AMD or Nvidia can be useful. Will also be useful for other applications too. Having said that both AMD and Nvidia are in the process of rolling out the next gen GPU, 7xxx series for AMD and 6xx series for Nvidia. It might be worth waiting a bit longer to see what's available.

found him a deal on a 430gt for $20 so thats what he bought, low risk, from tomshardware it appears that intels 3000 series is actually on par with the 8600GS... which is a step below the 8600GT and he did NOT wanna go backwards, the 430 should be about 30% faster than his current card and thus 50% better than IGP

ok last second check to make sure there are not incompatibilities I missed,

Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA1155
core i7-2600k
8gb (2x4) corsair ddr3 1600
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2
ZOTAC ZT-40607-10L GeForce GT 430
1tb WD Caviar Black
OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB
Antec Gaming series one case
Asus optical drive

I know something are well below other things (GPU/CPU) but it is his money and he found some great deals, all i wanna know is if everything will plug and play and that I'm not missing something obvious, this is only my 4th build and its better to know now than later....

ofc he also needs and OS...

the only thing he was "forced" to skimp on or "chose" to skimp on is GPU but he will not be gaming.... really, he is gonna be @ ~$800 built with OS i think.... thats 200 less than the rig i have in my sig... :jealous:

Back