• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Prescott Rumors. BIG!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobad

I have gotten wind of a low voltage Prescott. It supposedly runs at 1.154v.

Just think about that boys and girls!

1.154v should bring the temps down to Northwood levels. I hope this is true, and I hope they still have the big cache! Yummy!

Hey, don't pull my chain. I said it's just a rumor, OK? Don't shoot the messenger. :\

You know as much as I do about it now, so people can ask you about it.

We also know that theres usually a grain of truth behind most rumors. So chances are, SOMETHING is stirring. We may get a grain, or we may get the whole chunk with 1.154v Prescotts. Meanwhile, be patient and contemplate the benefits of the low voltage.

A friend.

OK, OK, I know the next question: What's my friend's source, right? Sorry, I can't help you there.

Hey, if it's true, it will probably be all over the Web in a day or 2. If not, shame on me for spreading rumors. :)

NookieN said:
You can run any Prescott on 1.15V. Just don't expect it to run very fast.

Don't remember for sure, but I think one was supposed to run at 3.2Ghz. Crank it up to 1.3v, and it should go pretty fast, wouldn't you think?

bobad said:
Don't remember for sure, but I think one was supposed to run at 3.2Ghz. Crank it up to 1.3v, and it should go pretty fast, wouldn't you think?

If the chip could go faster at that voltage and still fit within the thermal envelope, it would have been sold as a faster part. Usually when you see lower voltage chips, it means the chip is particularly leaky. That can be good for performance, but it also means that when overclocked those chips would demand a tremendous amount of power (and generate a tremendous amount of heat).

[url said:

We not on the same page. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that a reduction in voltage was due to a change in chip design or in the manufacturing process, not simply grading existing chips.

Reducing the voltage requirement from 1.3xx to 1.1xx would significantly reduce wattage and resulting heat. Grading does nothing but find freak chips that would be useful in laptops. Bah! :(

I think either the Prescott will live a short product cycle, or there will be a reduced voltage requirement. I don't think extra cooling is a viable option for Intel.

bobad said:
We not on the same page. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that a reduction in voltage was due to a change in chip design or in the manufacturing process, not simply grading existing chips.
Based on the comment however, it would seem to me that the rumored power reduction is due to a chip relayout and that every Prescott produced at that stepping and beyond will see the power reduction.

bobad said:
LOL You Intel guys and your wimpy Vcore changes. It seems like most people don't touch the Vcore or they change it very little. I occasionally run my 1.45V Mobile @ 2V :eek: But a low temperature Prescott sounds like another good candidate at OC'ing. The more good CPU's, the better :)

DeathAngelST: That's what *I'M* talking about!!

Now, why couldn't that 3.2 OC close to 4Ghz on 1.3v with no heat problems?

Those are interesting engineering samples. I wonder if those are the ones that they can't get any yield on or if they are the result of some new improvement in their process.

Nice to see they have HT.

kiyoshilionz said:
LOL You Intel guys and your wimpy Vcore changes. It seems like most people don't touch the Vcore or they change it very little. I occasionally run my 1.45V Mobile @ 2V :eek: But a low temperature Prescott sounds like another good candidate at OC'ing. The more good CPU's, the better :)

Where did you heard that?

Overvolting Intel is a common hobby :D

Let's hope these prescotts do what they promise - bring down the standard wattage. Think of what one of these suckers could do at 1.6v :burn:

Back