• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just installed 2 7K80's on raid for my system..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doug1991

Registered
and i was wondering a few things. From the second i start my computer it takes about 45 sec. to get to the desktop. Is this normal??

I believe everything is set up right but im not 100% positive. Can ayone give me some settings i should have in the bios or during the install??

thanks in advance.

Also i have an icon on the lower right of the screen and if i click on it it shows the safely remove hardware window and both drives are in there???

BTW the drives are stup for striping and the striping is set at 2 and the block is at 64.

Last edited:
also, i ran the hd tach 3.0 program and got 251.6mb/s. Does that sound right??

252MB/s is not realistic for those drives. You should probably have an average STR of around 110~120MB/s, and a seek time around 14ms.

doug1991 said:
also, i ran the hd tach 3.0 program and got 251.6mb/s. Does that sound right??

Doug,
I believe you are looking at burst rates. What is your average sustained read?
Probably around 100 to 120 like the other gentleman stated.

Dom

I have 2 T7K250's in RAID 0, and I am reading burst rates of 311MB/s, but my system is actually slower than my old single raptor setup. WIndows boot up time for me with RAID 0 is about the same as a single raptor, maybe slightly quicker. (2-3 bars)
It seems you, (and me) were expecting a more noticable performance boost from SATA RAID 0, especially with these new Deskstars that are supposed to be so fast if 3gb/s is enabled with ftool.
My CS:S load times, and game level loads are slower with them, and the general OS responsiveness is slower as well.
I got these as a replacement for my raptor, (which died)after reading several favorable articles and reviews, including a comparison against a single raptor. I am a bit disappointed in the deskstars in RAID 0, though.
I RMA'd my raptor and WD actually shipped me out a new one the day after they received mine. I am going back to the raptor, and will stick with the raptor series for a while; the performance, warranty and service are great.
The Hitachi's seem like nice drives, and having 1/2 a terrabyte of striped love was cool, but I guess I was just expecting too much from them.

ok your right. I posted the wrong information. here are the #'s

average read is 96.8 mb/s
random access is 13.3 ms.

this is on a quick bench 8mb zone.

doug1991 said:
ok your right. I posted the wrong information. here are the #'s

average read is 96.8 mb/s
random access is 13.3 ms.

this is on a quick bench 8mb zone.

Those benchies look just about perfect for your configuration.

Dom

dominick32 said:
Those benchies look just about perfect for your configuration.

Dom

OK. I guess i was expecting more from this set up. Is there a better choice for increased performance in windows load times and game load times??

doug1991 said:
OK. I guess i was expecting more from this set up. Is there a better choice for increased performance in windows load times and game load times??

If you went down to 16k striping you would probably be close to 110 sustained read, but some argue that lowering the stripe takes a performance hit on application loading and positioning.

I bet you if you went back to a Single 80GB Hitachi you would see a very big performance hit. Once you go to a Raid setup, sometimes its hard going back to a single drive.

I will have plenty of results available by next week. Keep reading the storage forums.

Dom

Back