• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600gt bfg mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wizard james

Ok, so it was around 11:30 pm , and my videocard started makin noise, fan was clicking.

Well, 2 hours later and a messy floor , heres the pictures http://www.openopinion.com/other/photos/videocard/ Its a old heatsink i had layin around, so i drilled some holes in it and uses some zip ties to hold it in, TBH i don't know how long this will last. I am gona go to the store tommorw to see if i can find some nut/bolt thing w/e they are called thin enough to hold the heatsink a bit better, then il lap it too.. hahha.. yep ..so bored.. :(

TEMPS: 45-47 idle , 5 mins of ati tool scaning for artifacts = 65 C.

good? i cant remember the temps i had before..

Those seem like pretty decent temps, but I'm not sure what the 6600GT runs at stock. Those temps are definitely safe though.

In any case, great job, I love to see the homegrown mods, always more satisfying than just slapping on a VGA silencer or something like that.

thoes temps are good considering the dinky heatsink your using... when my 6600gt AGP was use in my main rig (no longer used for everyday use) and i had it ocd and overvolted to the yin yang... (vcore and vmem mod running at 626/1400) i was using a huge p4 hs... i still use it today but i use it for quiet purposes in my htpc.. check it

P3110015.JPG

P3110024.JPG

reclaimer122 said:
LOL, is that black heatsink a Dell NB heatsink?

it actually looks mrore like a heatsink that would be found on a older p3 or 400-533mhz celeron

only reason i kno is i have one that looks almost exactly like that on the northbridge of my IC7-G and another on my FX5200

Its from a k6-2 cpu motherboard i had layn around.
Ok, so i wake up and its at 49 , its alittle hot in my room too..but, notbad.

Sofar its holding, but i still dont like the mounting hardware heh. Gona go and see if i can get a ride to home depot or crappy tire and see if they got what i am looking for.
Maybe later today il find some time to update my sig..

EDit: around 5 mins after i posted this, i got a blue screen with nvata.sys , TBH i dunno if thats from the videocard, or just becasue of my harddrives.. Gona reinstll nvidia drivers, might help , also added a fan for my harddrives..

Last edited:
Hmm, never happend since then, so far its been becasue of the nvidia drivers (not the gfx drivers)

Anyways, http://www.openopinion.com/other/photos/videocard/update/

Found what i was looking for. and it looks alot better and alot safer then what it was before..with zip ties. o btw.. Lke my skittles , heh, someone should steal them from me, i get despression from sugger (well.. a good 60% of it, the rest is either nothing or happyness .. )

Anyways, Temp idle right now is 43 .
LOAD is.. after 3 mins 58 C

So thats a nice little drop from zip ties, and just to think.. i am just using thermalright gloop.

Now..to overclock it.. Any tips? i was thinking of ati tool since it supports nvidia cards..

Yes use rivatuner. The one built into the control panel when activated isnt the greatest as you cannot see the exact memory speed when you are over 1000MHz.

Rivatuner is awesome.

My 6600GT @ 590/1160 full load is 58c and idles 35c :)

Volt mod it...do it. With a pencil, do the volt mod. I have my BFG 6600GT OC running 600/1.200 with a slight mod to the GPUvcore...I think I got it at 1.55/1.65 (2D/3D). I noticed memory overclocking scales with GPU.

SuperDave1685 said:
lol niiiiice man... sexy mod.. I like it.. nice temps as well.. congrats on not killing your card on that towell!

Well i tried overclocking.. didnt get far.. so i gave up.

So yeh, I dunno what else to do.. kinda bored now.. guess i could play games.. what to play..

wizard james said:
Well i tried overclocking.. didnt get far.. so i gave up.

So yeh, I dunno what else to do.. kinda bored now.. guess i could play games.. what to play..

Well what did you get to ?

i went down to 535 / 1090 , just becasue i get artafacts on anything lower, i think itsjust the ram, so il try the core abit higher later today. (just woke up)

ps2cho said:
Yes use rivatuner. The one built into the control panel when activated isnt the greatest as you cannot see the exact memory speed when you are over 1000MHz.

Rivatuner is awesome.

My 6600GT @ 590/1160 full load is 58c and idles 35c :)

you cant see it your right but you can count it, use your right arrow key after you select the colum, tap to the right or left.. 1 tap is 1mhz.. 10 taps is 10 mhz and youll see it click up on the gui ;)

make for easy fine tuning... i kinda wish i woulda kept my 6600 gt oc.. i sold it to a friend and got a 7600 gs for 20 bucks less then i sold the 6600 for .. did i go wrong ??? ive been looking for 7600 gs mods and havent came up with dittly..

Back