• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockable? I'm a newb at this :p

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MEMex

I'm kinda a newb when it comes to mobos... i was woundering, are all Asus mobos overclockable, like lets say, intel 370 chip that handals around 466 mhz celeron (recommened by company)... Just curious...

The mobo name is Asus Celeron 370 ATX Motherboard w/sound *Retail

Last edited:
mjones73 said:
Check the model on their website, it will tell you if it's adjustable or not.

Thx, but their site keeps saying that their index is corrupt... right..... Here is the model if you want it... (i bought already :beer: Asus MEB 440BX ATX Motherboard

Oh well, it just a starts computer anywho, thx for the help... :p

Where did u go to find the manual, i couldn't find anything like it lol... :rolleyes:

Memex:
When I looked at the picture that you supplied, I thought that I saw dipswitches on the motherboard by the two IDE connectors, so I also downloaded a copy of the MEB motherboard manual.
CHECK TO SEE IF there ARE dipswitches by the IDE connectors.
If there ARE dipswitches, make sure that YOU also download a copy of the manual so that you can verify exactly what is right and not right -- I cannot see at your end what your eyes see.
Anyway, as I interpret what I see in the manual, you SHOULD be able to overclock your rig at least some; however, you do have a least some of a limiting factor in the memory that you have and also probably a limit in the CPU cooler that you have. Please verify if (1) you have dipswitches on your motherboard. If you do (2) verify that dipswitches 7-10 are as follows:
- 7: ON
- 8: off
- 9: off
- 10: off
If you DO have dipswitches in the state that I show, then there is a VERY high possibility that you can overclock your rig!
First!. Do NOT change any of the dipswitches except for 7-10!
second! PLEASE verify anything that I tell you hear with the manual! and DO question EVERYTHING I am telling you.
To try to do a small overclock with the FSB set to 105 MHz by setting the dipswitches as follows:
- 7: off
- 8: ON
- 10: off
Try botting up with the dipswitches at this setting. This should get you to a CPU speed of 420 MHz. If this succeeds, you can try a FSB of 110 by setting the dipswitches to:
- 7: off
- 8: ON
- 10: ON
If this works and your machine is now running at 440 MHz, it means that you've got the idea and you can potentially experiment with faster settings. Also know this: Because of the PCI bus, your machine is more likely to work with a 124 MHz FSB that it is when a 120 MHz FSB.
Good luck
!
Dave

Back