• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing the PROCESSOR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
open the tab and the CPU will only go in one direction, look at the pins one the CPU ans socket and you will tell which way it goes in. set in let is silde in slowly dont force it in and then once all the way in lower the lever to lock it in place. at paste or if using Heatsink with thermal pad then no need for paste. then instal heatsink

will i have to clear the cmos also? this seems ALOT harder then it seems worth it. i already have my hardrives and stuff. the cmos and bios part is freaking me out. i thought the most i would have to do it format it. am i wrong?

Ok you should have no problems booting, However after you boot you will probably get a CMOS error of somekind and the the options of entering setup or ignoring it. When this happens select the enter setup. You will be sen't into the bios of your Mobo. To find out exactly what you need to configure consult your Mobo manual. This should hopefully explain what you needed.

If this doesn't help or you don't get exactly what I said then I would google "how to build a computer" you will probably find several guides that break this down to extremely simple steps.
Happy O?c

Your CPU will probably have been booted at 66mhz or 133mhz bus speed since it is your first boot it will probably stay that way unless corrected and all the little stuff that you will really need to have set correctly for optimum performance might not be right. I.E. graphics apature size, cas latency, and hardware monitoring capabilities.

the bios is also where you will be changing your our different settings to O/C

Zatrix said:
? im not gonna be overclocking at all. i never overclock my cpu. maybe my videocard but not my cpu. YAY no format for me :D

wait, are you saying your just going to plug in your hard drive from your old rig into your new one? if thats the case, yes you have to format because your drivers from your old computer will be on the drive. always reformat after building a new rig or replacing a major hardware component (except the cpu, but things like motherboard, vid card, sound card always reformat).

i have to agree with savage basher. these forums are all about overclocking. sure theres some help with general things, but the name of the forums should give you a clue what we're all about. theres other forums out there that are made specificly for general hardware questions which would be a better place to get some help IMO. why wont you overclock the processor? at stock, todays processors will probably last 15 years or so. if your run it at load all the time (distributed computing) then it might go down to 10 years. if you overclock and run it at load, probably 5-10 years. your not planning on keeping your new rig for that long are you?

not all the computers here are overclocked your good to ask questions and such don't worry about it

Back