• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My contemporary Ikea/Dell project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrelandMadMan

How's it going guys, been a member here for years but not much of a poster. Haven't really touched or built a pc in years now but got the bug again.

I almost went out and bought an imac 27 to sit nicely on my newly constructed desk and wall units, instead though I thought I would use up what tech I already had, and here is the result (With still a lot of interior work and wiring to be done).

My Dell zino HD, 3x 120mm fans wired into the wall through a 12v adapter I had lying around, and a cheap *** apple style keyboard and mouse.
Units are Ikea besta, Desk is also Ikea.
TV is an LG 1080P Led.

What do you think? My only problem is the fans are really loud, any suggestions?

My PS3 and music system still to go in, so this will add to the heat problems

DSC_0581.jpg
DSC_0591.jpg
DSC_0589.jpg

wow that area looks great. nice touch with the fans to blow air inside where the desktop is.

I gotta say...that is one slick looking setup you have there... Very "inkeeping" with Ikea's idea of minimalistic functionality.
I like that wall unit a loot. May have to go take a vist to the local Ikea store and see it live. :D

Only suggestion for fans; get quieter fans, but that generally means slower spinning and/or less air movement, go multiple slow/quiet fans or go much bigger. A single 220mm fan spinning at 600rpm will be very quiet (relatively speaking), yet still move alot of air.

Thanks for the replies guys, I was also thinking about stripping down the zino and mounting it to an mini itx test bench for even better cooling, I am not sure if this is even possible though, I think it is a standard mini board. Would love to mount the PS3 on a test bench also :)

The great thing about Ikea is that if you mess up it is only a matter of nipping down and buying a new part of the unit if you mess up :D, I done a bit of guessing when drilling the holes lol. And of course most of the time the stuff is relatively inexpensive. My office chair was like £15, most of the stuff I had, just a matter of changing it about.

So happy in the end, and even the wife cant cry at any mess.

I am going to look into the suggestions about the noise, might try some fan controllers, or as mentioned some small fans.

I have two 120mm intakes and then one exhaust at the minute

Many thanks

I hope you meant larger fans. Smaller normally means even less air movement, or very loud fans if you want anything that can move air like a 120mm fan.

I just hooked up some old 80mm fans I had lying around for a little mod I was making to a sub amplifier, and boy were they noisy. I still can't believe I actually had those fans in use in my old computer cases. Just 1 of those fans is louder then my current main PC with all the fans in it now.

Sorry yes, larger :) I see you can get 230mm ones now, seems it is hard to find a nice grill to go with them though.Even 200mm could be an option

I am going to try a few things later to cut down on the noise, will try some padding. gonna fill holes in the units, Ikea units are like cardboard in the inside with holes, it may be making more noise. If all this fails then larger fans I go.

Will post up more pics later.

See yas soon

Looks great, I really like the set up you have going there. I am currently mounting some similar fans in my cabinet where all my stereo stuff is. Looking forward to seeing some updates.

Back