• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vulcano9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psycho2

Hi,

I'm going to buy a new PC :D whit an AMD AthlonXP2000, but to keep this baby cool I'll buy an Vulcano9 whit smartFan2. Now, my question is: where the heck do I have to place the probe? :mad:
Between the core and the HSF (I also buy some AS3) under the cpu (whit the wire thru the pins (I'm not going to do this cus I'm affraid to damage the pins or the CPU) or do I have to place it somewhere else??? :argue:

Why can't live be easy :p

As you are aware the recommended location is under the chip, but it can be placed at the side of the core. DO NOT place it between the core and HSF.

I had a Volcano 9 myself but didn't get on well with it - though I love the Smart Fan II, manually controlled.

Edit - BTW welcome to the forums. ;)

Robin Hood said:
As you are aware the recommended location is under the chip, but it can be placed at the side of the core. DO NOT place it between the core and HSF.

I had a Volcano 9 myself but didn't get on well with it - though I love the Smart Fan II, manually controlled.

Ok, but where do I have to place it so it cools the best. Do I have to tape it on the HSF with some TIM, or doesn't it matter where it tape it. :rolleyes:

Why can't live be easy ? :beer:

Robin Hood said:

hey robin hood, did you get the manul control to actually work? I never noticed or got any reads that it was changin no matter which way I turned the dial.

Psycho2, I just don't use the probe and have it run full speed. If you do not like that option, I put the sensor as low as I can in the heatsink or tape it on the bottom of the heat sink as close to the cpu as possible.

Just in case you haven't figured it out based on what the above posters have said, you cannot put it between the core (fingernail sized sliver of metal in the center) and the heatsink because you won't get proper heat transfer. The best placement is either next to the core or under the chip with the wire routed inbetween the pins. Either way, if done properly, will cause no damage to the chip, motherboard, heatsink, or fan. I would go for next to the chip myself if I wanted to use the temperature control option, but I would rather use the manual conrtol. With that, even if the CPU is running hot, (say 60C), you can leave the fan where it is and go sleep or something instead of having it at full power throughout the night to keep it cool. Basically, as long as it won't overheat at lowest rpm, use the manual control. Sleeping is a lot better than listening to your fan spin up. I've got that fan and when I go to bed, if I have to leave the computer on, I turn down the fan to its lowest setting. It runs at 45C or so, so it isn't a problem to do that. If it was on manual control, it would spin up throughout the night and wake me up.

Z

brodo said:

hey robin hood, did you get the manul control to actually work? I never noticed or got any reads that it was changin no matter which way I turned the dial.

Yeh - no problem, works great. :)

doh!

i figured it out. you have to take off that jumper :-D just now when I was messing with a peltier test ;)

and yes, it does work great now!!

Re: doh!

brodo said:
i figured it out. you have to take off that jumper :-D just now when I was messing with a peltier test ;)

and yes, it does work great now!!

What jumper? I need to get mine to work :D

Re: Re: doh!

Goo Kenson said:

What jumper? I need to get mine to work :D

There are two terminals on the smart fan II. One is shiped with a jumper attached - this sets the fan at full speed. To run the rheo, remove the jumper and attach to the same pins. To run the sensor attach to the other pins but still remove the jumper. Easy. ;)

Sorry Psycho2, your best option is to stick the sensor along the edge of the core, just don't trap it with the HS (tape was included with the Volcano 9).

hmm

actually, I removed the jumpers and put the manual on the other connector and it worked. I am unsure of the sensor, I assumed it would either be in place of the jumper'd connector -- or on the other connector (still with the jumper'd connector unjumperred) :D

brodo said:
actually, I removed the jumpers and put the manual on the other connector and it worked. I am unsure of the sensor, I assumed it would either be in place of the jumper'd connector -- or on the other connector (still with the jumper'd connector unjumperred) :D

The rheo and sensor are not interchangable and so it shouldn't be possible to connect to the wrong pins/terminal. just use one at a time without the jumper. :D

I would personally recommend not using the sensor as Tt have set it to operate with a ceiling of 50C, meaning it will try and keep it under 50C. To me, 50C is a tad on the high side (depending on where you place the probe), so I recommend you just use the manual rheo to control it.

Regarding placement of the probe tho, it should be placed either under the chip or on the surface of the chip with it just touching the side of the die. As mentioned several times above, do not place it directly between the die and heatsink.

mine is setup like so:
c2b.jpg

Back