• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do Raid Array's work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

I understand the basics of how it is set up, and what it gives, but here's where i am confused. I set up 2 HDD's in my PC, i enabled RAID0 (my only choice with 2 HDDs) on the BIOS and i was expecting to jump into my windows with 600GB+300GB, instead, the 300GB HDD was invisible, infact more of my formated 600GB space was unavailable versus it riding solo, there was also absolutly no performance gain, this was on a fresh Windows 7 x64 install.

I wanted to RAID 2 1TB HDDs in my PC to FRAPS some gameplay without it dropping to 20fps. I also wanted to do this same setup in my wife's PC because she draws, and her Photoshop documents are 1.3-1.9GBs each, she draws at high resolutions, like 5000x5000.

I was using the above Hard drives to test out how it would work, and if i dropped $400 in Hard drives and 2 just dissapear, i'd be extremly mad.

If you raided a 600GB+300GB the raid array would fault to the smaller size drive. So that would be right about 600GB in raid 0. There is also no performance boost because the raid faults to the slower drive. Raid should only be done on identical drives.

If you raided a 600GB+300GB the raid array would fault to the smaller size drive. So that would be right about 600GB in raid 0. There is also no performance boost because the raid faults to the slower drive. Raid should only be done on identical drives.

Oh i see now, so 2x1TB drives will appear as a single 2TB drive? I only used the other 2 to see if it would effect anything, but yeah the 300GB drive was a 2.5" drive i use in my PS3, and it's definatly slower.

Back