• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Half-Life 2 lagging horribly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

majere880

I just bought a new computer. Dell XPS w/ Intel i7 processor 2.7-3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia gt555M graphics card with 3GB of RAM and Optimus. I should be able to play Half-Life 2 on high settings no problem. However, whenever I get into a situation on the game with someone shooting or anything happening the framerate goes down to below 10! I tried changing the graphics settings to low on everything but the same thing happened again. Why is this happening? I made sure the computer wasn't using the Intel HD graphics card, but it was definitely using the Nvidia so I don't know what could be causing the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? (Also I tried playing the original half-life and it still lagged *********.)

Anything running in the background that can be slowing it down (using 100% cpu usage, I doubt anything is using 8gb ram)? Have you run any virus or malware scans?

Considering that you have a 555m, I am going to assume you have a laptop.

Could you check your power settings, and make sure you are running at full power/performance level? Good chance your system is downclocking itself due to a lower power profile.

Considering that you have a 555m, I am going to assume you have a laptop.

Could you check your power settings, and make sure you are running at full power/performance level? Good chance your system is downclocking itself due to a lower power profile.

Could it really be downclocking that much though? (S)He said HL1 is also having problems, and that's definitely playable on my netbook. Even if it's in power saving mode using integrated graphics, it should run just as well if not better than that.

Yah, I don't think its a performance issue. Are any other games suffering fro the issue? A reinstall of the video and chipset drivers couldn't hurt.

Back