• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "I forgot to turn the pump on" horror story ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sHape oF gReY

Well about thirty minutes ago, I got home from work, quite worn out from a days work. Go to my room, hit the power switch on the case and head to the kitchen to grab a bite.

Roughly 30 seconds later i heard a beeping noise...it took me about 10 seconds to process that it was my temp. alarm. At that point I covered roughly 40-50 feet in 2 seconds...jumping over chairs and dodging my cat. I dont think I've ever moved that fast for anything in my life :eek:

Anyway, yanked the power cord out of the wall (had to take a face dive under the table..ouch...) . Waited a bit, turned the pump on, powered up the PC...i never thought Id be THAT glad to hear the annoying beep at boot-up :D

So far all seems good.

Anyway, though Id share the story while im sitting here mending my wounds...twisted ankle, few minor scrapes...and by morning probly a few bruises.

~ peace

PS. dont forget to turn your pumps on if you have em... it really hurts if you dont :p

LOL, when I first built my setup, I didn't tighten the screws in my SLK-947U all the way (for fear of crushing my 2500+, I'm too cheap for a shim) and I'm thanking myself to this day that the first thing I did in my NF7-S BIOS was to set the auto-CPU-shutoff temp as low as it would go(65*C). About 2 minutes into Memtest86+ my comp turns off with the two-tone siren of doom. I promptly pulled the power cord and waited for the siren to die, then I opened the case and tried to reset the CMOS (I don't remeber why I tried to do this). Of course all of my cables have to converge right over the clear-CMOS jumper so it took me about 3 minutes to get to it, which was thankfully enough time for the CPU temp to get back down to safe levels. When I turned it on again I went into PC Health and saw the temps in the high 40s, turn it off, tighten screws, turn back on, goto PC Health, temps in mid 30s. Lesson learned: always set the CPU-auto-shutoff temp as low as it will go!

Back