• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socket A cooler for socket 7? Why not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taylor

Not many choices for socket A cpu HSF, and they're pretty much the same size, right? Any objections?

most should be fine, be wary of ones with a strong clip, but most are clear for socket7 and 370. Don't go socket 7 to Socket A though.

Thank you. (Hear that, Snake Byt?) Looks like I was mistaken.

I can think of at least two overclockers who are glad to hear that, myself included.

np, most hsf will tell you what they can run on, and some actually do run socket7. But again, the only two I can think of not using are SocketA or 370 Orbs, and any SocketA/370 Globalwin.

don't try the superorb on a p3, cracked my old 500E. Was trying to recycle it when it after i got a wbk38 for my tbird.

Snakebyt (Jun 14, 2001 02:19 a.m.):
Yea, i got that, I will be getting that HSF this weekend.

I just picked up a big burly hsf frpm compusa, house brand, for $20. Doesn't say much but claims to designed for overclocking, supposed to be good up to 1.2 ghz. Sez it'll work great with my k6-2, and I'm only making a 500 run AFAP up to board max, shy of 700. I'm guessing for this task the thing will be fine.

But it bugs me they don't bother to rate it with any real data. All it says is 4500 rpm fan. I'd ike to know how many cfm the thing pushes, and some idea of how much heat the thing can remove from the core.

oh well, $20 used to be worth more, I guess..

William (Jun 15, 2001 12:08 a.m.):
hmm, is that the orb look a like they have?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but here's what it looks like.

[img="[URL]http://www.n2.net/tginther/compusahsf.jpg[/URL]"]

It seems to work ok, too. Using this nifty thermistor/termometer I picked up at fry's, I measure cpu core temp stabilizing at 33.2C , and that on a go of 1000 runs of SANDRA's 2 cpu benchmarks, in the burn-in wizard.

I didn't modify the thing to fit the thermistor in there, but someone else on the forums measured the probe thickness at .018 (or was it .0018) anyway the thing's pretty thin, and it didn't feel like it was displacing the mating surfaces much, and if it keeps it that cool with the probe stuck in there i'm guessing it'll cool it pretty well with it removed.

bear in mind, it's just a k6-2 500 @ 523, fsb 95mhz, pci @ 1/3, spec volts (2.2). not much of an OC, agreed.

I'd like to push further, without spending much money- I realize the limited potential of an FIC pa2013 & k6-2 500 combo.

I'd like to hear suggestions for fitting that thermistor probe properly to the core, so I can count on accurate measurments in which the "observer doesn't affect the subject", if you take my meaning.

comp usa sells an orb look a like hsf. I think it would be worse. I haven't seen that hsf, but it doesn't look half bad, especially for a K6/2

Thanks much for your input, William. This is one of the things I love about this place- in a world where 1-gig machines are becoming commonplace, around here even us super-seven guys can benefit from the collective experience of the forums. happy Father's Day, btw.

-Taylor

Taylor (Jun 17, 2001 12:23 p.m.):
Thanks much for your input, William. This is one of the things I love about this place- in a world where 1-gig machines are becoming commonplace, around here even us super-seven guys can benefit from the collective experience of the forums. happy Father's Day, btw.

-Taylor

thanks, and on the fathers day, i am only 17! lol, being a senior makes me feel old.

Back