• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Memory or Incorrect Settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mOtH3r_bUrN3R

Registered
Howdy folks....

I am posting here in the Memory section today, because I narrowed down a problem I have been fighting regarding my new rig. Currently, I am trying to use a new 2 gig (1024mb X 2) set of Corsair TWINX XMS3200R 400MHZ 3-3-3-8.

I have tried the RAM on two boards and have yet to get one to post. One board is for a: ASUS A8V (currently with a FX-55) and the other is a ASUS P4C800-Deluxe (P4 2.8 800FSB). I have tried every imaginable combination and DIMM placement to remove a faulty DIMM slot from the equation.

When placing the NEW memory into the P4C800, I get many beeping noises that continue over and over. I assumed at this point it had to be the memory, as I have tested everything else to make sure the system works. Trying the NEW memory in the new system results in the system failing to post, without the beeping sounds. Using my OLD memory, Corsair XMS3200 400MHZ 1 gig (512mb X 2) in the new and old system allows both to post and boot just fine.

Hence, now I am wondering does this sound like bad memory or does it sound like I need to adjust the settings on the MOBO? I just assumed that the MOBO would autoadjust to handle the new memory, since in essence it is the same but with just an upgrade to the quantity....or should I actually go in and change the latency and bus settings to account for the change?

Here are the two links to the memory, the first is my old memory and the second is the new stuff I am using.....

Old Memory

New Memory

I did note that one was ECC and the other was not, I didn't know If that was something that I needed to enter the BIOS and change before allowing me to post or not?

Thanks again....

Burner.....

Problem solved called Corsair and ASUS.....

The memory I purchased was not able to work with the MOBO, do it being Corsair's registered memory model. Therefore, needed to reorder some no buffered memory instead....

Problem solved.....good luck to all!

Burner....

Back