• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to keep A64 from sticking to heatspreader?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
Alright, so this has always kind of annoyed me, but recently I bent like 5-6 pins and had to be really careful to bend them all back. Can't keep ripping it out the socket.

The problems is, it's like a rock once I get thermal paste between it and my waterblock.

Anyway to solve this besides taking off the heatspreader?

You can try running your computer with the pump off in BIOS to heat up the thermal compound so it will loosen up a bit. Watch the temps in the hardware monitor and when the temperature gets around 50-55, turn the computer off and quickly remove your waterblock. It should come right off without your CPU.

It's very hard to twist waterblocks while they are still installed unless you take the holding screws from the board off which means you would have the remove the motherboard as well. :)

Turn your water off and boot to the desktop. I played farcry with my pump off at 2.1 volts for 30 minutes. Convection currets keep it safe for a while. :D

Back