• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of the loop Inteler...building a new system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InvisGreenMan

I've been out of the intel loop for a while guys, and now I am trying to catch back up on the latest news. I am switching from an A64 754 to an intel 775 after spring break because I found a buyer for my "old" system. Don't try to convince me not to change, I have already weighed it out and this is what I want to do. However, I would appreciate some help on my configuration.

Heres the plan:

Budget - as close to $1600 or under as possible

Lian Li PC-V1000B $180.00
Asus P5AD2-E Premium $229.00 (I really want the 925XE -- is the DFI really going to be that much better?)
-- Also looking at this case...LOOKING AT THIS ONE HARD
LGA 775 Pentium 4 540J 3.2 GHz $231.00 (should I "downgrade" to the 630 3.0Ghz for $254? The other 3.2GHz is way over my budget.)
Patriot DDR2 PC2-4200 (2x512Mb) $243.00
Gigabyte 6600 GT $188.00 (Uhhh, who makes the best PCI-e 6600GT?)
NV Silencer 6 $22.95
PCP&C 510 Express $259.95 (custom sleeved by Performance PCs. I don't have the time to do another one...this would be the 4th if I did it myself)
Seagate SATA 200Gb $- own it
Pioneer DVR-108 $- own it
Thermalright XP-90 $38.95 (Is the XP-120 really that much better?)
Thermalright 775 Adaptor $4.89
Delta 92x38mm Triple Blade $13.95
Logitech diNovo (bluetooth) $179.99 (I know it's overkill, but I haven't bought a keyboard for over 4 years, so I think it's time to have a nice set.)

Total (775) System $1,591.68

Thanks a lot guys! - As always, I'll fold this baby!

Last edited:
The case seems rediculously expensive to me. But then again, that's just my opinion.

yea the case is draggin you down. If you're buying a case for performance, practically any case will do (aslong as its Full tower) there are alot of easy mods you can do to save money. If i had $180 on me i FOR SURE wouldnt waste it all on a case. Just think that with a little extra change you could get another 6600GT!!!

Personally, I like the Lian case. Go for it if you want it. I don't know how well the XP-120 fits that Asus mobo. With my Abit, I had to do some minor modding to make it fit. Yeah, get the 630 CPU, it's a sure E0 stepping with 64-bit.

The Lian-li case is quite expensive...if you want to spend more on the computer, look for a more reasonable case.

I would go for the Thermalright XP 120 as it has better performance and is more silent.
But first, check its mobo compatibility! Do not only check if your motherboard supports it. Try to know if to support it, you have to make some minor changes (if that's the case, of course, if you don't mind to make those changes, go for it!)
As for the 6600 GT, I would choose MSI. But Gigabyte is a good option.
And definitely go for the new 6xx series.
That Logitech is great! If you don't want to spend so much, you can go for the Logitech Cordless Desktop MX for Bluetooth which is $50 cheaper!
Enjoy your new system :)

Back