• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Guide to Setting up Your Own Apache Server on Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i cannotget the localhost bit to work. it wont login, just says cannot find page.

ah u have to put the port :) :88 at the end in my case.
Ok i got a problem, it wont change to the phpmyadmin directory!!
the hell?

wth.jpg

Ok i fixed it :) slowly getting there....having trouble with creating the database now. i did something wrong with the config.inc file. Its cos i was using notepad...Wordpad works the best because notepad doesnt put it in order in lines.

ps2cho said:
ah u have to put the port :) :88 at the end in my case.
Ok i got a problem, it wont change to the phpmyadmin directory!!
the hell?

wth.jpg

Yeah I remember I had that problem too. For future reference in case anyone gets stuck- you have to remember that if you are using an NT OS, that you have 2 "command prompts".

One is command.com (this is the 16-bit DOS command prompt). Remember that anything over 6 characters has to use a tilda and number. So to get to phpmyadmin, you would have to do "cd phpmya~1".

The other is cmd.exe (this is the NT command line interface). You can type in full length file names without the errors.

I got stuck on that for days until I remembered the ~1 part :D. And I grew up with DOS. I'm ashamed...

Last edited:
Ok my site is working good now. I have one slight problem. when users register for my forums...its supposed to send a confirmation email...but its not setup correctly.
i get this error:

Warning: mail(): Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in z:\appserv\www\modules\Your_Account\index.php on line 146
#TeamCZWarlords Clan Website: User Registration/Login

New User Account Created!

Welcome! You are now registered as a member.

Your request for a new account has been processed. You'll receive an email in the next few seconds with a activation link that should be visited in the next 24 hours to be able to activate your account.

Thank you for registering at #TeamCZWarlords Clan Website!

Now, can i fix this? or can i make it so that they do not have to have a confirmation email to sign up?

THanks, ps2cho

Open C:\Windows\php.ini and search for the local mail function settings. If you have mercury setup on your server, just type your domain name (yoursite.com). If not, use someone elses SMTP server (like your ISP).

Here's what mine looks like.

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = ke-clan.com

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = [email protected]

; For Unix only. You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
;sendmail_path =

Alternatively, you can use your isp like this:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = smtp.comcast.net

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = [email protected]

; For Unix only. You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
;sendmail_path =

Last edited:
sorry for double post...urm...how should i set it up with appserv? or can it not?
Can u post link to the mercury download? i looked but im confused on which one it is...
thanks,

Yey. I finally found my backup of the AppServ guide. Here's the Mercury part:

--Email Server (Mercury Mail Transport)--

Email is very essential to a complete server, because many PHP scripts need to use a mail server to work correctly. Also, having your own domain means you can theoretically control as many email addresses as you can setup with your domain. Email is just about as essential as FTP, because many PHP scripts need to use a mail server to work correctly. Also, having your own domain means you can theoretically control as many email addresses as you can setup with your domain. A free and very lite program that I like to use is the Mercury Mail Transport System. It only takes up a few MB of disk space and RAM. It can also be installed on any Windows version from 95 up. Mercury has been around, as freeware, since 1992, so you can rest assured it will be dependable. Installing Mercury Mail is a breeze, but there's a long installation process. I will walk you through the setup that most personal servers will use. These steps are only likely to work with version 4.01a. Please PM me if they update Mercury, or if the link below is broken.

ftp://ftp.usm.maine.edu/pegasus/mercury32/m32-401a.exe

1. Click the link above to download Mercury/32 4.01a.
  2. Double click on m32-401a.exe to begin the install process.
  3. WinZip Self-Extractor will begin. Click on the "Setup".
  4. The Mercury/32 Setup program will be displayed. Click the "New Installation" button.
  5. Click the "No Netware Support" button.
  6. Click the "OK, accept this directory" button.
  7. Click the "No Pegasus Mail integration" button.
  8. Click the "OK, accept this directory" button.
  9. You should now see a list of protocol modules. To be able to send and receive email, you will need both POP3 and SMTP protocols installed. Select "MercuryS" and "MercuryP". You may select additional protocols to install if you wish, but this guide will not go through the steps of setting them up. Click the "OK, continue installation" button.
  10. You should now see two SMTP client module buttons. Since most mail servers will blacklist emails that originate from an SMTP server using a dynamic IP address to prevent spam, you should click "Install MercuryC". This module will allow you to relay your outgoing emails to another SMTP server (such as the one provided by your ISP). If you have a static IP address, you can "Install MercuryE", but this guide will not go through the steps of setting up the MercuryE cient.
  11. Type your domain name that is used with your server. Alternatively, you can use your No-IP address. It should be typed in the form yourname.com or yourname.no-ip.com. You can also use your static IP address. It should be typed in brackets in the form [123.456.78.9].
  12. Type the username for the postmaster. Admin is fine.
  13. Type the address of your SMTP server (usually provided to you by your ISP). Example: smtp.comcast.net. Click the "OK, continue installation" button.
  14. Click the "Normal" button.
  15. Click the "OK, accept this directory" button.
  16. Click the "Install Mercury/32" button.
  17. Mercury is now installed. A folder may be displayed with a few program shortcuts. Minimize that folder, and bring the Mercury/32 Setup application back into focus. Click the "Exit" button.
  18. Bring the Mercury for Win32 folder back into focus (the folder that you minimized in step 18).
  19. Copy (CTRL+C) the Mercury Loader Shortcut and paste it (CTRL+V) to your Startup folder. You can access your Startup folder by clicking Start > Programs > Startup. This will make the Mercury Loader start whenever Windows starts.
  20. Start the Mercury Loader for the first time by clicking Start > Programs > Startup > Mercury Loader.
  21. Click on Configuration > MercuryC SMTP Client.
  22. If your ISP's SMTP server (the server Mercury is borrowing to send mail) requires SMTP Authentication, input your ISP email addresses username and password. Click the "Save" button.
  23. Click on Configuratuon > Manage Local Users.
  24. Now we are going to add a username. Click the "Add" button. Under Username, type in the users name (example: diggingforgold). Personal name is whatever you want (example: Jeff). Mail password is this accounts password. APOP secret is optional. I usually leave it blank. Click the "OK" button to add that user to the local user list.
  25. Click the "Close" button when you are finished adding users.

You have finished setting up the mail server. Your SMTP address, in case your wondering, is the exact same address you typed in step 11 of the Mercury/32 Setup process (example: yourname.com). Your POP3 address is also the same.

I'll edit my original post tomorrow. I gotta finish getting my server back up before I get to bed (hdd crash AGAIN grrr).

Ok, just used Mambo for the first time. This might not be a replacement for phpnuke, but it's an awesome CMS. I love the admin setup and the look and feel of everything. It's so powerful just as it is without any mods, yet so easy to use. I'll add a guide on how to install this too (very easy).

To see what mambos front end looks like, visit my new site -

http://www.kubels.net

It will have all my guides compiled in one place and I'll probably include pictures to show, not just tell, you guys how to do stuff.

NvIdIaAtHloN said:
i would be to stupid to make this lol

Naw. It's actually really easy to install Apache. The guide just looks complicated because I included everything you could possibly want. Really- all you need is this:

http://jaist.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/appserv/appserv-win32-2.4.3.exe

^ Thats AppServ. Just follow the instructions under AppServ in the guide and you will have a server installed in under 2 minutes- I guarantee it. "Its so easy, even a caveman can do it!".

You don't need to install or setup anything else, but the instructions are there if you want to give them a try later.

i installed appserv lastnight and i'm trying to set the priviledges but every time i add the user and edit the config.ini.php i cant log into phpmyadmin anymore. it says authentication isnt supported or something. if i set it to http instead of config and try it still wont let me saying the user name/password is wrong. im using appserv 2.4.3

oh btw i get this error to:
The mbstring PHP extension was not found and you seem to be using multibyte charset

how do i solve these problems?

I've only messed with one version after 2.4.0 and found that it was a pain. The newer versions use an unstable version of phpmyadmin, along with the new PHP5. This spells trouble when you try securing it using the traditional method since it does some sort of encryption to the passwords.

I haven't had a chance to keep up on this, so your best bet is to try googling for a new way to secure phpmyadmin. Or it might be best to downgrade to 2.4.0. For the average at-home-server, there is really no noticable difference.

Back