• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potentiometer %

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FireMogle

Does a Potentiometer reach 0% when it is turned all the way down? I am finally finishing up my WC system and need it for the controll circuits. Thanks.

Ps its a Radioshack one with +/- 20% tolerance if that helps.

Depends. Some potentiometers will go from say 50K Ohms to 0 Ohms whereas others may go from 10K Ohms to 5K Ohms. It should say on the package what it's rated.

most of the ones from places like radioshak do go to 0 ohms, or damn close at least.

I would recomend ripping them out of old electronics rather than buying them. Just find something with knobs on it. If you ahve a decent assortmant of old junk you can almost always find something in the right range.

If you don't want to go to 0 ohms you could wire a resistor in series that was the minimum value you wanted.

Measure the resistance with a multimeter if you want to verify what its resistance is at some point.

Ken

K, thanks guys. I was just planning out my schematics and was wondering what the min R would be, thanks.

Back