• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IntelBurn Test Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zhut

I have some questions for users of IntelBurn Test.

How reliable is this program for stability, does it compare well to Prime95?

How many "runs" are recommended? I have been doing the 5 runs so far.

Is there are certain purpose for the varying stress levels?

I am running IntelBurn right now while writing this and it is set to max stress level yet is showing temps 8 degrees lower than when I just ran the low and mid level stress tests for 5 passes. Does anyone else have info to share on IntelBurntest experiences?

I do have the side of my case off so I can read the temps on my board and compare to my Coretemp and Realtemp numbers, not sure if that is cheating.

Thank you in advance.

Don't use Intel Burn Test.

Get the latest version of LinX and test in both 32-bit and 64-bit. Also, make sure to enable "use all available memory". When you do that, you won't be able to post on the net at the same time :)

Do 15-20 passes on each the 32 & 64-bit; then you will know if you are stable or not.

Also, the newest version of LinX is a lot better than Prime95 is testing for stability! There are no questions about it.

Good luck!

I have been trying IBT out with my new CPU and here are my thoughts.

The stress level just seems to determine how much ram is used. I found the more ram you use the longer each pass takes, which is maybe why it is considered more stressful.

I thought it showed CPU instability faster than prime, I could run 5 passes at low and see it failed after 5-10 minutes. At the same settings prime smallfft ran for 30 mins before I stopped it and it didn't find any errors. IBT also created more heat and vdroop, so I believe it is more stressful than running prime.

It does not test your ram very well, I ran 30 passes at maximum stress using over 7GB of ram and they all passed, yet prime blend failed instantly and memtest #5 failed as well.

Last edited:
It does not test your ram very well, I ran 30 passes at maximum stress using over 7GB of ram and they all passed, yet prime blend failed instantly and memtest #5 failed as well.

Then you either have you linx setup wrong or you are using an outdated version. I have the newest version and haven't used the older versions of linx beside the intelburntest.

I have 6gigs of triple-channel memory, and instantaneously after I start linx "with use all available memory", I have only around 5 megabytes left of usable memory and that is just so the OS can still function.

Heck, I can't even open a web browser with it taking longer than 15 seconds while running linx :)

Linx does not seem to be downloading for me for some reason. Keeps saying do you want to save or open this file. Must be noob locked!

Then you either have you linx setup wrong or you are using an outdated version. I have the newest version and haven't used the older versions of linx beside the intelburntest.

I have 6gigs of triple-channel memory, and instantaneously after I start linx "with use all available memory", I have only around 5 megabytes left of usable memory and that is just so the OS can still function.

Heck, I can't even open a web browser with it taking longer than 15 seconds while running linx :)

I wasn't using linx, although I may look into it.

Everything in my post was related to IBT, I have edited the post to clarify that.

I wasn't using linx, although I may look into it.

Everything in my post was related to IBT, I have edited the post to clarify that.

I know that IBT for me didn't utilize all 8 logical processors to their max. In fact, when looking in task manager, they were all just non-stop up-and-down lines (not 100% CPU usage). "Now", with LinX, all cores go right up to 100% CPU usage just like on Prime95.

Linpak only tests the CPU. It's not worth running more than 15 or so trials for a quick CPU stability check -- faster then checking with prime95. But, then switch to prime95 blend to check memory, NB, and more CPU. You can be linpak stable all day and crash prime95 within an hour -- been there, done that, learned my lesson.

Edit: it doesn't matter whether you run IBT or LinX. They're just a front end to the same core program.

linpack tests the memory better than prime blend test, you better believe that.

especially if you use the 64-bit test that does ALL your memory.

stability testing of now = linX
stability testing of the past = prime95

actually, it seems that the prime95 takes more voltage out of my memory when set to "without vdroop" in the BIOS, so it looks like prime blend stresses the memory a tad more than linx

I am still having trouble getting Linx to download. It only says "do you want to open or save this file" any help?

On a side note something must be wrong with IntelBurn for me since its is hardly heating my pc up at all under max stress 59C is the highest I can get it to hit.

Windows Task Manager is showing: CPU usage 100% Physical Memory 89%
7.18 gb memory out of my 8gigs. (allowing me to post this perhaps?) Real strange. I want to get the Linx working anyone have a good link to Linx aka the ultimate? Thanks again.

Back