• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam wth?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I buy Deus Ex this morning(physical copy) Install it. Come back like 3 hours later to play, and the steam box pops up and says its loading. Then says this game is currently unavailable. WHat the hell is that supposed to mean?:argue::argue::argue:

"Steam servers are too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

when trying to open any game. If only it was Origin, we wouldn't have these issues! :popcorn:

Rage did that with me!

I bought my copy from Bestbuy.. I install it, BAM its in my Steam?!?!?

As you know steam is DRM that has to call home for the game to work, only way around is to go into offline mode when it is working.

Where the installation of the store-bought games independent of steam? Meaning they just placed a shortcut, installed in their own non-steam folder in program files, etc.? Or did it ask you to install steam during installation of the game?

From what I'm reading here sounds like Steam 'detected' your install and made it part of it without your permission...

Where the installation of the store-bought games independent of steam? Meaning they just placed a shortcut, installed in their own non-steam folder in program files, etc.? Or did it ask you to install steam during installation of the game?

From what I'm reading here sounds like Steam 'detected' your install and made it part of it without your permission...

That's what it does my friend. If you have Steam installed, which I do, and you buy games from Steam, which I do, when you buy a boxed RETAIL game that happens to be available on Steam it just eats it. Even the installer is the 'steam installer' with the little percentage bar that scrolls across but doesn't tell you what/where is installing. And it installs itself to the /steam folder.

As with all things, once you let them become big enough, they become inherently evil... I mean, unless their motto is not to be evil. Right?

http://deusex.com/game/reqs

It says right there on the requirements that it uses the Steam platform...... That should tell you that Steam is REQUIRED, retail or not...... You purchased the game like that (Im sure if you look at the box, itll say the same thing).

That's what it does my friend. If you have Steam installed, which I do, and you buy games from Steam, which I do, when you buy a boxed RETAIL game that happens to be available on Steam it just eats it. Even the installer is the 'steam installer' with the little percentage bar that scrolls across but doesn't tell you what/where is installing. And it installs itself to the /steam folder.

As with all things, once you let them become big enough, they become inherently evil... I mean, unless their motto is not to be evil. Right?

Retail games that are steam only (Deus Ex) are done through steam. BC2, for instance, is a game that was offered retail and through Steam, and doesn't play through steam if you have the retail version. I know this because I have the retail version and my friends have the Steam version, and I am greatly envious of them.

So to counter your point, Steam does not "eat up" games that happen to be available on steam unless that game is specifically required to use Steam.

As far as the game being unavailable (happened to me yesterday morning with Metro 2033, well.. Steam wouldn't even open), if you're already on and the game is unavailable, I'd just restart into offline mode, problem solved. If it's an online game that you want to play and Steam is down, well, I guess that's something you have to deal with. Not anything new for servers to occasionally have issues, right?

Retail games that are steam only (Deus Ex) are done through steam. BC2, for instance, is a game that was offered retail and through Steam, and doesn't play through steam if you have the retail version. I know this because I have the retail version and my friends have the Steam version, and I am greatly envious of them.

So to counter your point, Steam does not "eat up" games that happen to be available on steam unless that game is specifically required to use Steam.

Many of the games I have purchased retail have had a STEAM installer and plopped themselves into my STEAM directory. Metro 2033 is another example.

Many games, including games not released by valve, are steam only games, that 100% require steam to play, whether you had steam installed before you bought them or not. Like fallout, new vegas. It is a steam only title, even if you bought an in store copy of the game, you have to install steam and launch it through steam, as steam is the publishers chosen method of drm.

Ive never once had a retail game that was not a steam required game force me to install through steam with a retail copy of the game.

Many of the games I have purchased retail have had a STEAM installer and plopped themselves into my STEAM directory. Metro 2033 is another example.

You missed my entire post. There are plenty of retail games that are steam only (Deus Ex, and Metro, whatever other games you know of), but there are other ones that are both (BFBC2) and Steam doesn't automatically take over the retail install of the game.

The game will say "requires Steam" on the box if so.

Back